Uyuni - The amazing Salt Flats


Advertisement
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The first night in Uyuni was pretty chilled. We arrived quite late, and were booked into a hotel, a real hotel, no hostel or campsite, bit of a treat really, but Bolivia is very cheap!

We ate the worlds highest pizza that night, was ok, then had a couple of drinks around town. The next day was gonna be a biggy, so didn't go daft!

We were picked up early, after a nice scrambled eggs brekkars, could get used to this. 3 big 4x4's took us on the drive towards the salt flats. First we stopped off at the Train Graveyard. A vast place with loads of old rusted trains. Bit wierd but makes for an excellent playground for an hour.

After a long drive we made it out onto the salt flats. Its just bright white nothingness as far as the eye can see. Our local guides cooked some Llama and we sat and ate before spending hours taking strange photos, the most popular thing to do on the salt flats. Because of the vast nothingness, you can get some great photos provided you have the right props, which we did. It's actually really hard to get right, and takes a good few hours to get the hang of it.

There is also a strange place called Fish Island on the salt flats, a big hill covered in Cacti. Pretty freaky to see it in the middle of the salt, but well worth a walk around, if not a bit too hilly for my liking.

In the evening we had about a 2 hour drive back to the hotel and i'd managed to get some salt in my eye, which burned, badly. I was in agony for the whole trip back, but luckily there are 2 doctors on our tour, as well as 2 Texan nurses. So, a scary looking syringe and a bottle of salene solution eased my pain enough to go out for a few drinks in town......


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb