Bolivia - The Most Peculiar Place I've Seen!


Advertisement
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I have just realized that I never finished uploading these S. America photos, which is a shame because there are some beauties in here!

First was the bus from Cuzco, across the mountains to the Bolivian border at Lake Titicaca. Then from the border to La Paz - the capital city at the highest altitude in the world, incidently. We stayed in La Paz a day too long by accident because we missed the bus to Salar. But it was not the end of the world because a day of down time in between these excrutiating long jouries was actually a blessing.

The Salar de Uyuni is in the south of Bolivia and we got there by a bumpy arsed bus over night and over the mountains from La Paz. This place is like the surface of the moon! We spent just two days exploring in a 4x4 with a small group we had met et the hostel in La Paz. Luckily there was an English girl who spoke fluent Spanish because our guide on the trip did not know one word of English. What was odd was that it was salt but it was wet and spongey under foot, like walking on a giant iced doughnut. Also, it was cold and sunny but really hot at the same time. Figure that one out! Anyway, it is the biggest salt plain on Earth and a really amazing thing to see.

Then it was back to La Paz. From there we went to Venezuala for a wedding.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Bus to La PazBus to La Paz
Bus to La Paz

Yep. I could not beleive it either!
Lake TiticacaLake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca

It is actually more like an inland sea.
Lara at the Salt HotelLara at the Salt Hotel
Lara at the Salt Hotel

This is a hotel made out of - you probably guessed, salt.
White HexagonsWhite Hexagons
White Hexagons

All there is to see for, well, as far as the eye can see.
Fish IslandFish Island
Fish Island

Right in the middle of nowhere is a rocky island covered in cacti.
Fish IslandFish Island
Fish Island

And caves full of tiny dead people.
FlamingosFlamingos
Flamingos

For some reason, flamingos are drawn to the puddles of water. It must be very salty.
The VolcanoThe Volcano
The Volcano

This is a herd of alpaca grazing on the grass at the foot of a volcano in the middle of the salt plain, all reflected in a puddle.


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 26; qc: 130; dbt: 0.1741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb