Salt Plains


Advertisement
Published: December 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Days 26 & 27



We headed off in 4x4 s to Solar de Uyuni - 12000 square kms of pure salt! It was amazing. Pure white salt against bright blue skies for as far as you could see. It used to be a lagoon but the water dried up so it's just salt that's left. It looked like ice. We stopped at a salt hotel where everything is made of salt - including the furniture and then stopped at a random island for lunch. We had an explore of the island (which is called Fish Island) which had plenty of cactus and lots of rocks. We headed to our 'hotel'which was in the middle of nowhere. Stuart played football with a couple of the guys and a couple of local lads then we chilled out.

The next day we had a horribly early start - leaving the hotel at 5 to head back to the salt lakes to watch the sun rise. It was freezing, but well worth it! We then headed up a volcano and stopped at a cave which had 2000 year old human remains preserved inside it. We then walked some way up the volcano
Nothing but SaltNothing but SaltNothing but Salt

All to often the word "awesome" is used without understanding the ture meaning of the word. When you are stood on a pure white lake with nothing else but clear blue skies in every direction, there is only one word to describe it. Fan-bloody-awe-tastic-some!!!
which was really difficult with the high altitude but after a while we got used to it. After lunch we stopped to take more photos which was pretty funny as we were all trying to be creative and then went to a train cemetry!! Not the most exciting of places!! At midnight we caught a 12 hour train headed for our next destination... La Paz.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

As beautiful as this looks, let me assure you it was f´f´freezing and about 5:30am. Although I shouldn´t complain I´ve seen the reports on the weather at home!
Oh Mummy!Oh Mummy!
Oh Mummy!

These mummies have been presevered for over 2000 year in a little cave on the side of a volcano. Due to the alitude and the lack of moisture in the air the mummies are in remarkably good condition.


17th December 2005

Hi Curly! It looks AMAIZING! The salt mines are beautiful. Glad you're having a good time! In any case... ;-)
18th December 2005

wonderful!!
This is one place I want to go. thanks for nice pictures....must be very nice to have long trips. I am going to Greece for Christmas and new year's eve.....

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb