SALAR DE UYUNI - BOLIVIA


Advertisement
Published: October 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chile is behind us!
We are now onboard a 4x4 taking us through the world´s biggest, most fascinating, most famous, driest salt flat, heading to Uyuni.
on the morning of our departure, we met up with two other couples, one from Belgium, one from Switzerland. For 3 days, we will be travelling together on a Jeep, crossing the desert to get to Salar de Uyuni and experience something amazing. As we get to the border, it is already 4300m above sea level. So far ok!
Our first stop was Laguna Verde, then we continued to a pool of hotsprings where we both had a splash. The other 4 weren´t so keen. There is always one or two who would make a fool of themselves. Yes, that´s us!
After drying, we got onto the Jeep and headed to Laguna Colorada.
The landscapes we have seen are simply breathtaking. There isn´t a word to describe them. The pictures are our witness.
That was it for the first day. Our driver, Simon took us to our hostel in Villamar for the night. A basic hostel but just enough. No luxuries, no showers, beds made out of cement, electricity coming on at 7.00pm and lights out at 10.00pm. It was really nice, apart from the beds. Hard on the back. getting old you know.
Up the following morning by 6.30am to get breakfast and head towards the Salar. Next stop: arbol de Piedra ( litterally Stone Tree ), Laguna Honda, Laguna Chiarkota, Laguna Cañapa, Laguna Hedionda then our last stop was Volcan Ollague ( nothing like Volcan Villarica in Pucon by the way ).
Our accommodation for the night was 20mins from the Salar , in a hotel entirely made out of salt. And I mean everything: walls, tables, chairs, stools, bar, beds, floor....
After a much needed shower ( the best we had in a long time ) we went to have a walk in the village. We were greeted,invited and challenged to a game of football by a bunch of young kids who wanted to see foreigners spill their guts out while playing at an altitude of 4000m. We couldn´t refuse! They had a lot of fun watching us running 10metres and feeling sick. we all enjoyed it, and it was good fun.
Back to the hotel, we had our meal, some Swiss chocolate and a game of cards with Simon and Willy ( the manager). we were the only guests in the hotel! we were quite shattered though so it was early night as we had to get up at 5.00am to get to the Salar and experience sunrise on the flats. Totally speechless! Not a sound, not a cloud. That sensation fills you up with happiness and in complete contact with nature. Again, see the pictures, they speak for themselves. Along the way, we stopped in an island , Isla Incahuasi ( translation: Home of the Inca ), yes they came down here ( well not while we were there , but a few thousand years ago ). There are cacti everywhere on the island. Its main attraction is a very old cactus, ageing 1203 years and counting. It´s amazing the thing is still standing.
Our tour finished, it was time to go to Colchani. A community based at the side of the Salar, exploiting the salt flats.
After that, back into the Jeep and going to our final stop: Uyuni where we would sleep for the night and leave to Potosi the following morning.
Our trip was organised by "Estrella del Sur" which we can´t recommend enough. They took care of everything from transport, food all inclusive ( and very good food too ), all accommodation. Well done guys! We had the time of our life.
well, that´s it for now! Until next time, goodbye!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Bolivia - Chile borderBolivia - Chile border
Bolivia - Chile border

Getting breakfast


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb