The salt flats


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From the stinky hot wetlands (at approx 350m altitude) we headed to the freezing cold salt flat (at 3650m) and experienced the different ends of the temperature spectrum in Bolivia in less than a week. Its amazing what Bolivia has to offer! The trip down was the most freezing bus ride we've ever had, no heating whatsoever... I had to stick my feet under James' bum so that I could defrost them enough to sleep! Who knows what happened to the heat coming out of the engine... we know for sure that it wasn't entering the bus!

We ventured south with our friends Randy, Dani and Randy's sister and brother-in-law for a 3 day tour of the salt flats and the surrounding national park. When we arrived in Uyuni we all piled into a jeep, along with the guide and cook and drove for three days stopping off to admire the salt flat (the world's largest), an island on the salt flat with very large cacti, some crazy rock formations, many beautiful lakes, geysers, mud pools, hot springs and volcanoes. The colours were spectacular and there were many amazing and memorable views.

We spent our first night staying at a hotel on the other side of the salt flat which was mostly made up of bricks of salt - the walls, tables, chairs and bed bases - and then grains of salt covered the floor. It was impressive. But lucky for us they didn't take the idea too far and we still had blankets, pillows and toilets made out of other materials.

After our freezing cold bus trip we decided that we would be all prepared for the bus trip home so we layered up and got into our sleeping bags. But this bus had heating and within no time we were stripping off our layers. You can never win!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



5th July 2007

Awesome
Those pics are awesome. love the Dani/hat one.
5th July 2007

Hey you guys!! how are you guys?? quick question - are you guys going to be in bolivia next feb???? im thinking of coming tovisit but want to make sure youl still be there. let me know, i need to book tickets asap lots of love priya

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb