salar de uyuni - landscapes from another planet


Advertisement
Published: January 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

our jeep entering the salarour jeep entering the salarour jeep entering the salar

absolutly impressed of what we saw - is this real?
After Sucre all 3 of us went into different directions again. My next stop was Potosi - the highest city of the world at 4000m and famous for its mining history. I wanted to visit the mines but in the night I got incredibly sick - bad stomach and full altitude-sickness. I had a nightmare of night - freezingly cold in a bad accomodation, having to go to the toilet every 10 minutes and of course the toilet was far far away and bitter cold...
So I instantly left Potosi without having seen anything and drove to Uyuni, where I rented a room with private bathroom and gasheater for 2 days to recover - this with the help of pills for the altitude and the diarrhoea...
It seemed I was not alone with this fate - both Berlin-girls were having similar bad experiences: Miri wrote me she was vomiting out of the bus-window on the trip leaving Sucre and Katha who was miserable as well got bitten by a monkey in the jungle of Cochabamba and had to get injections every day for a while... :-)
2 days recovering in Uyuni and I was ready to embark on the 3 days tour through the incredible Salar de Uyuni which let me instantly forget the suffering of the past days. On more then 3000m, close to the border of Chile and Argentina are these beautiful salt-planes, vulcanoes, lagunes with flamingos and awesome landscapes that truly seem to be from another planet.
In a jeep with 6 nice people (all spanish-speaking) we explored for 3 days this amazing area - all of us were overwhelmed by the stunning sites we were passing every day... Pictures speak here more than thousand words!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

asi es la vida! train cemeteryasi es la vida! train cemetery
asi es la vida! train cemetery

...for all the old bolivian mining-trains near the uyuni-village...
G. W. Bush...G. W. Bush...
G. W. Bush...

...like this train you will end. F*** you!
real adventurereal adventure
real adventure

...can't be without a car-problem far away from civilization...


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb