Worth every minute of the journey


Advertisement
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Salar de Uyuni is one of the most amazing, awesome and spectacular scenes any of us have ever seen in our lives. As it is wet season, the Salt Plains are covered with water, creating the most amazing reflections and magical wonderland. Driving towards the salt hotel, Hotel Playa Blanca, across this landscape of never ending tranquility inspired speechless (in all three of us, quite a feat). We literally walked through the water, looking and talking photos the whole time. It was like being in a giant dome, due to the reflections of the mountains in the water and the sun being placed nearly directly above us there seemed to be no reflection. The mountains seemed to float, the water stretched for what seemed like infinity. You appear to be standing on the edge, or in a bottomless lake.....the world does not seem to match what your eyes tell you.
Getting to sit on top of the jeep (only Bolivia) as we drove back over the plains was awesome, it took our breath away to be enjoying the views of one of the most beautiful landscapes of the world. We hope that there is always a 17 hour, horrible and epic journey to see Salar de Uyuni, in order that it´s perfection is never ruined by rampant tourism.
We stopped in at the train graveyard on the way back....sounds like a weird tourist attraction, bit boring....not at all. We soon were scrambling all over them, hanging upside down, playing James Bond - chasing each other over the roofs (complete with hand guns!!). Did a few Stand By Me pictures on the tracks......not that they came out as expected! Oh and not to forget on the ride there, Irene happily listening to music looked out the window to miles and miles of barren landscape....only to see some dude squatting down - ass facing to the only place people might be passing, and having a shit....to quote "I saw it come out of his ass". I have no idea why she felt the need to share the sight me Teresa and I though!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb