Potosi


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Potosi at 1am after a very cold, cramped and stinky bus journey. Got a cab with 2 brits to the nearest hostel and was alseep in seconds. Awoken at 6am though to the city church bells, the government of bolivia should pay for everyone to have their own alarm clock!! Finally got up at 9 and decided to try and see all the sights in one day. Checked out had beakfast then wandered around town (very slowly as this is the higest town in Bolivia) until time for my mines trip.
Boarded the truck at 12 with only one other passenger, a journalist. But saw my friend Simone in the street so she ran after us and came along too. We were given wellies, overalls and helmets and then started the rickety ride up the mountain to the mines. They are still working and have about 60 miners in them. The conditions are appauling and most miners have to stop after 10years or they die from the fumes. We stop half way there to buy presents for the miners, coca leaves, booze and dynamite...
We venture in and meet a few miners they are friendly as they want the gifts, the coca leaves are the most wanted as it stops them feeling so ill. We have atour around the different areas and then go to the religious section where the miners give offerings to the devil. Inside the mountai the devil is worshipped whereas outside only jesus. We hear the story of the naming of the mountains. A young couple were in love until the spaniards came and she cheated with one of them, fighting a death occurred and the large mountain is the man and the small one is the baby.
Mad rush back to town as the tour is late so I run to eat and catch my bus to Sucre.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Us and minersUs and miners
Us and miners

Cheeks full of coca leaves


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb