Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to Potosi we go


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Potosi
February 9th 2011
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 2 tonne trucks 22 secs
2: heavy work 50 secs
In Spain, Potosi is a word used to describe riches, its origins come from the town of Potosi which has been mining silver for over four centuries.

The work of today´s miners has changed little from that of their fore-fathers. The miners have formed a cooperative and are self employed meaning that modern machinery is prohibitively expensive. Stepping into the mines is the same today as it was in the 1600´s, dark, oppressive and incredibly hot. One sixteenth century spanish writer described it as stepping into the mouth of hell.

A visit to the mines is certainly not for the faint hearted, it can get up to 60 degrees in places, while dust caused by dynamite explosions clogs your lungs. If you hear shouting - you run - your life literally does depend on it. Carts which can weigh over 2 tonnes come hurtling down tight passage ways. Running along you have to bend double to avoid hitting your head and then quickly press yourself flat against the wall and hope there is enough room between you and the cart.

Hardest of all is that children as young as fourteen work in the mines, starting at 7am they finish at 5pm, have a two hour break and then attend school between 7 and 10pm. Working in these conditions they know their life expectancy will be seriosuly curtailed as many have already lost family members to lung disease.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb