Miners are mad!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Potosi
August 31st 2010
Published: August 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

There was not much to do in Potosi except go down a hole, so we thought why not!

The town they say is the highest city in the world, used to produce most of South America and Spains silver. Now the silver is almost run out but they keep mining for other raw materials.

We got kitted up and shown the plants at which they seperate the silver from the rock in order to sell. The health and safety side of things was non existant, open conveyer belts, and planks across tanks for walking etc. We visite the miners market, bought some dynamite, coca leaves and some ciggies for the miners (home made pure tobacco). The miners chew the leaves and smoke to suppress the appetite, because you are unable to use a loo down the mine! Also had a sip of 96% alcohol that the miners drink, pretty much like metho spirits.

We headed down the hole, not much room above our heads, your helmet hit the top of the mine constantly and you the holes we had to climb down were no bigger than our bodies, crawling through. A few people opted out, claustrophobia set in. We saw a 15 year old miner working away in the dark, pitch black, hammer and chisel and dynamite. His father had died so he had to work to make money to look after the family.

The temperature went from one extreme to the other, hot to cold, and the gases and dust got into the back of your throat, with almost a burning sensation. Were covered in fine white dust, our hands and knees sore from manourvering throughout the mine. No wonder most miners only make it to 50. I feel for the Chilians stuck down there for months at the moment!

We eventually got out and were allowed to set of our dynamite. The guides lit it and passed it around so casually before running off 20m away then quickly running back to us, waiting for the explosion. The bang vibrated through your whole body, we cant imagine what it would be like going off down the hole.

Eventful day, booked a taxi to Sucre´, $8 each for a 200 km trip! Not bad price, except the taxi driver thought he was Mark Webber as we drove down 2000m in altitude.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Gretchen trying to be a minerGretchen trying to be a miner
Gretchen trying to be a miner

It is bad luck for women to work in the mines!


1st September 2010

The ring?
C'mon Gert, the guide didn't give you the ring it was Sam wasn't it? Anything you'd like to share? Hey Sam, no more "sharding" I hope! Cheers and keep the blogs comin'

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb