Adios


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Potosi
January 11th 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Its vacation time in Argentina and Bolivia so to our surprise small towns like Potosi had many full hostels and buses in and out of town were of capacity. When we finally arrived in a hostel in Potosi and had a few hour sleep after a gruelling night bus that was packed like sardines complete with people sleeping on our laps it seemed our luck was back. We booked a mine tour with Marco Polo tours and the best tour guide, Willy, who had great english and spanish. After dressing from head to toe in Marco Polo attire, including a hard helmet with head light, we headed into the Silver Mines of Potosi. The mine is still in use, and the conditions were so crazy, we walked hunched through mazes and had to squish against the walls as the workers pushed their carts through. We ended up going three layers down into the mine down wooden ladders, but we started in the middle of the mine so how far under the ground we were wasn't that clear. It was well worth the trip and very educational on working conditions in the mining industry.

After Potosi and the crazy bus rides we've had, we booked a nicer bus and made our way to Cochabamba. It was a beautiful town, and had one of the craziest markets I have encountered. the cakes/tortas in the market were unbelievable, the number of cakes and the fancy appearance was mouth watering. I didn't spend a lot of time in Cochabamba as I wanted to return to La Paz well before my flight. My initial plan was to climb Huyana Potosi, however due to some bad chicken I opted for the moon valley a tour of the ski hill. Ending at 5400 m the glacier of Chacaltaya was a very primitive ski hill with only one lift to carry equipment while the skiers hike. Although no longer in working order the views were amazing, showing Lake Titicaca and huyana potosi as well as a view of the alta and La Paz.

That is the end of my trip, it was amazing and I recommend South America travelling to anyone who likes adventure and variety in scenery!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.1kb