La Paz to Cusco - Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

La Paz to Cusco

Via Copacabana and Puno

In the area between La Paz in Bolivia and Cusco in Peru lies the magnificent lake Titicaca. It has an impressive deep blue color that can be seen from far.

On the Bolivian side of the lake you can find the city of Copacabana from where it is convenient to visit Isla del Sol - the most sacred place for the Ayamara people, who believe that the sun was born in this place.
To reach Copacabana you need to cross a strait, which is usually done by an interesting log-boat.
On the island you can see some Inca and pre-Inca ruins, as well as the Rock of the Puma - the most sacred place on the island.
There is another interesting stone there - the stone of punishments, where upon those who defied Inca rules, justice was made. These rules banned basically 3 things - being lazy, lying and stealing.

After finishing the visit to the island, I tried to cross the border to Peru, but Bolivia refused to part from me, as there was luckily a bus strike all over the country, and all the roads were blocked.
Not wanting to spend another day in Copacabana, I just
A ferryA ferryA ferry

This is how you cross the strait
took a boat to the border. Actually, since there was no convenient port before the international border, the boat crossed it by a few meters, so for a few minutes I've been an illegal immigrant to Peru.

After successfully and legally crossing the border, I've reached the city of Puno on the Peruvian side of lake Titicaca, from where I went to a two days tour to the Peruvian islands.
On the first day we've visited Islas Flotilas - a truly interesting place.
Islas Flotilas are artificial, man made islands, built completely from the Tortora-Reed plant. When I say completely - I mean that virtually everything is constructed from the plant - the islands themselves, the houses, the boats and even the food. Amazingly, the Urus people have built these islands hundreds of years ago, fleeing to the lake from an invasion of another tribe.
Although the Urus continue to live in the same way today, there are some technological improvements like a telephone and solar energy which some scientists have built on the islands for the convenience of the locals.

In the afternoon we've reached Isla Amantani, where we spent the night with a local family and went to see the Pachamama temple. This temple is a remnant from a pre-Christian religion.
Isla Amantani, although being touristic, still retains some characteristics of the original way people used to live here - same methods of agriculture, no electricity - simple life. It was an interesting experience. In the evening the locals had even thrown a party for us, where we learned the traditional dances.

Than on the second day we've visited Isla Taquila which was even more touristic, but yet retains some customs such as traditional clothes.

In this tour I've also had the pleasure to meet Quito and Filipe from Portugal, with whom I've also spent some time in Cusco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Lago TiticacaLago Titicaca
Lago Titicaca

Water till' the horizon
Isla del SolIsla del Sol
Isla del Sol

The stone of punishments
Isla del SolIsla del Sol
Isla del Sol

Rock of the Puma
Isla del SolIsla del Sol
Isla del Sol

The table of sacrefices
Isla del SolIsla del Sol
Isla del Sol

The tample
Islas FlotilasIslas Flotilas
Islas Flotilas

Made from Tortora Reed
Islas FlotilasIslas Flotilas
Islas Flotilas

Tortora Reed plants
Islas FlotilasIslas Flotilas
Islas Flotilas

Solar Energy


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb