Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the way out of Bolivia towards Peru, there is a giant lake, the highest navigatable lake in the world called Lake Titicaca. It looks like the ocean as the other side is over the horizon.

There is a lot of history around here with the Incas inhabiting the islands and surrounds untill the invasion of the Spanish. One of the more well known was Isle de Sol near the beautiful town of Copacabana.

Copacabana is a great place, revolving around the lake and local water activities. There are many shops selling the local trout which is cheap and very nice. That was our meal of choice over our visit. Again we hired motorbikes and saw some nearby villages. There was a rally car race that we passed, and saw them come flying around a corner. We even went sailing, the first time that I had taken Em out. Hope she didnt get too bored as the bath tub we were in was slower than a injured snail.

On the other side at Puno, a local fishing village took to their reed boats and hid from the enemies in the long reeds out in the lake. Over time they learnt to build islands made of reeds which they could build houses on. They were really impressive although quite touristy. A short boat ride got us out there and we checked out a couple of villages which people still inhabit. There are hundreds of people still living out there, making a living from the thousands of people that come to visit, selling gifts or taking people out for a reed canoe ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb