Sun island


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2021
Edit Blog Post

30th April - Isla del Sol (Sun Island) - Colombia Revered as the most important site within Inca mythology.

According to Inca history, Isla del Sol (Island of the Sun) is both the birthplace of their revered Sun God and the world’s first two Incas.

The story goes that following a great flood, the province of Lake Titicaca was plunged into a long period of darkness. After many days, the bearded god Viracocha rose from the depths of Lake Titicaca, traveling to Isla del Sol where he not only commanded the sun to rise, but created the world’s first two Incas; Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo (the Adam and Eve of the Andes).



While the story is indeed dramatic, it’s fair to say that the Incas didn’t actually originate on the shores of Lake Titicaca. A more realistic version is that in the mid fifteenth century the Incas invaded the island – wresting control from the rulers of the time – and created the story in an attempt to not only justify their reign, but to identify themselves with the pre-existing Tiwanaku civilization whom they considered to be a great source of religious and ideological identity.




There are over 80 ruins scattered throughout Isla del Sol, most of which date to the Inca period; around 15th century AD but based on archaeologists’ discoveries, there is evidence to suggest that people lived on the island as far back as the third century BC.



The island has an area of 5.5 square miles

Our guide tracked all the way to one of the highest view points enabling us to have sweeping panoramic views of Lake Titicaca. To the southeast is the smaller Isla de la Luna (“Island of the Moon”), which is also the site of Inca ruins.

We could also see Copacabana Peninsula.



We returned later for what must be one of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever seen.

http://www.heygo.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb