La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
June 2nd 2006
Published: June 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bus on BoardBus on BoardBus on Board

The novel way of getting from one side of Lake Titicaca to the other - bridges aren´t obviously popular here.
We´ve really enjoyed our four-day stay in La Paz, the highest capital city in the world. The journey from Copacabana in a local bus will be remembered for; the lady at the back of the bus hiding a meowing kitten under her blanket, messily shelling monkey-nuts to stave off our lunch time hunger & watching our bus being cautiously ferried on a barge, across one side of Lake Titicaca to the other in a "water is no obstacle" short-cut to the big city.

Arriving into La Paz by road, affords a natural vantage point to marvel at the city, which appears to be built in a huge crater. On closer inspection, the shops, university, business districts and salubrious residential areas, nestle in the centre of the bowl and the poorer residential areas work their way up the mountain side, encirling the city in a haze of breeze blocks, terracotta bricks and corrugated tin roof work. In the south of the city, in between the high rise office blocks, you often catch a distant glimpse of the snow covered Huayna Potosí mountain - a stunning show of the engineering capabilities of man and nature.

You could walk around La Paz in about a day but we took our time - interspersing museum visits with running a few errands. We negotiated the Bolivian postal "system" in order to send accumulated alpaca knitwear home and then paid a visit to the Museo de Coca - a tiny room filled with interesting facts and pictures associated with this innocuous looking, little leaf. It was well worth the visit to find out that in colonial times, when the Catholic Church demonised the plant and discouraged native Bolivians from chewing the leaves, the productivity of the country´s silver mines decreased. Consequently, the Conquistadors reinterpreted this religous decree to suggest that the plant could be consumed when at work but not during leisure time! By chewing coca leaves, miners could work their long shifts with little food or feeling of pain and therefore extracted more silver to be sent to the Spanish crown. Also, did you know that Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine and the plant is still one of the ingredients in its well-guarded secret recipe!?

After a few days in La Paz you get the sense that the city is one big market where you can buy everything you want from a store
The Bustling "El Prado" in La PazThe Bustling "El Prado" in La PazThe Bustling "El Prado" in La Paz

The "El Prado" is the main track through the city.
and a little bit more...after some haggling! We stumbled upon Eloy Salmon - a road filled with electronics shops and market stalls, selling anything with a micro-chip in it. Perfect when your digi-camera battery is failing - T was in motherboard heaven! La Paz also boasts a witches market where stalls sell herbs, potions and the foetuses of Llamas- useful if you ever need to ward off those evil spirits (warning: picture below). After being slightly sketched out by the witches, we visited the Museo de Tiahuanaco which houses artefacts from the Incan, Tiahuanacan, Moche & Chimu cultures. Given that we visited ruins of each of these civilasations in Peru, we strode in as budding Arch. & Anth. -ologists, only to find ourselves mimmicking the pottery on display. I think travellers´ museum fatigue may be setting in!

We stayed near to the Plaza Estudiente and in front of the bars, restaurants and clubs of the Sopachi district. This was an ideal place to refuel our UK culture batteries and break the monotony of our South American diets - green thai curry, milk shakes, "safe" salads, hot chocolates and other delights were consumed. We also made it to the cinema
Cordillera RealCordillera RealCordillera Real

Seen from the desolate altiplano.
to watch X-Men 3 - with Spanish subtitles of course. We considered ourselves refuelled and ready for the road, but were we ready for the next road, "the most dangerous road in the world"...?


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

San Francisco ChurchSan Francisco Church
San Francisco Church

In the very centre of La Paz.
Coca MuseumCoca Museum
Coca Museum

This giant wooden press used in Cocaine production, was built by a blind man!
An Advert for a Coca TonicAn Advert for a Coca Tonic
An Advert for a Coca Tonic

The drink actually contained cocaine a common ingredient of its time, just like Coca Cola once did.
The Back-Streets of La PazThe Back-Streets of La Paz
The Back-Streets of La Paz

The city is like a giant market - every street is filled with market stalls.
A Plethora of PotatoesA Plethora of Potatoes
A Plethora of Potatoes

Just a few of the 450 varieties grown in Bolivia.
In Electro HeavenIn Electro Heaven
In Electro Heaven

Tommy feeling at home in the Electronic Market
Llama FoetusesLlama Foetuses
Llama Foetuses

Sold in the Witch Market (Mercado de Hechicería) to superstitious Bolivians wishing to ward off evil spirits.
The Museo de TihuanacoThe Museo de Tihuanaco
The Museo de Tihuanaco

...or Archaelogical Museum (predominantly full of Tihuanacan artefacts)
A New FriendA New Friend
A New Friend

In the Archaeological Museum.
On the PotOn the Pot
On the Pot

Enough said!
The Local Law EnforcementThe Local Law Enforcement
The Local Law Enforcement

Vigilantly looking out for trouble!
La Paz at NightLa Paz at Night
La Paz at Night

Looking down from the park.


7th June 2006

Birthday Girl!
Happy Birthday Laura lots of Love The Welsh Williams Family
7th June 2006

Happy Birthday Chairman. Have you done the waching up Tommy?
7th June 2006

Mountains of microchips
Taylor - predictably comfortable with microchips. Me and King-Dong have been up Huyana Potosi - over 6000 metres - twas an absolute ripper. We've also been in that very same coca museum!! Oooohh, the tiny little world.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb