Light Headed in La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
March 11th 2005
Published: March 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

La PazLa PazLa Paz

View from City rim, 2 million people in the valley
9/3 The bus wasnt cancelled. They changed the time but it still ran and being Bolivia as it was nearly full at 1815... they took off 15 minutes early while a family of four attempted to pile their belongings in the side and clamber on board. This was a continuiing theme throughout the entire journey.

Certain groups in the country were demanding the resignation of the President but the Congress wouldnt let him, so there were road blocks throughout the country and some buses were unable to make it throught to destinations.

I was travelling next to a very jolly local and woke up on the side of a mountain in a huge lines of buses and trucks with police patrolling everywhere. The bus took off again without half its passengers and they sprinted down the hill after it. Some bus passengers were asked for money but I managed to avoid this 😊

Heading to La Paz youre heading into high altitude, so suffered a splitting headache but no nausea or vomiting, so I was happy.
Local women in their bright skirts, with pigtails and hats gather around the bus whenever it stops offering up dishes from banana chips to chicken and rice.

La Paz is amazing, the locals told me there were another 4 hours of travel left... they were lying. La Paz lies in a valley. 2 million people living in homes cascading down the incredibly steep hills. It was astonishingly beautiful (and yes, the photos will be up in 24 hours) and impossible to get lost. You just walk down hill to the main street and find your way back from there.

Im staying at the Hotel Torino, around the corner from the Legislative and Municipal Palaces, complete with bullet holes and full flag flying ceremony performed each day. Beautiful building, bustling city, streets full of markets. So livable. it makes a difference that a majority of the people actually have work, Im loving it.
My room is like a monks cell with a tiny little window and trestle bed, looks out across the back of a cathedral.

Spent today looking at the witches market.... llama foetus anyone???... Cocoa Museum: amazing history of the religious and then economic exploitation of SA, and then the fabulous Museo de Instrumentas Musical in Calle Jaen. Extensive collection of instruments from the history of SA and the introduction of European instruments into the folklore. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Heading back out to look for more munchies. Eating too much bread but its so good and the empanadas are exceptional.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb