Peru to Bolivia around a very big lake


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
July 30th 2010
Published: July 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Peru to Bolivia


We eventually left Cusco and went to Puno (on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca) to take a day trip to some floating islands made out of reeds. We also hopped over to a normal island, Taquile, and saw some of the locals celebrating Santiago day. It was a nice day trip and made Puno worth the visit. It was an insanely cold hostel though, two of us in one single bed with five blankets, and we still had to sleep with our woolly hats on.

The next day, at silly o clock in the morning (which is becoming quite the norm), we moved on to Bolivia and stayed over night in Copacabana. We decided that, although it was nice, we wanted to get to La Paz. So off we went the next day.

La Paz is great and totally breathtaking the first time you see it. Our hostel has the best bed in the world, so we've been horizontal for most of our time here. We've figured out the next week or so however; Salar de Uyuni tomorrow for a few days, then off to the pampas to swim with pink dolphins (hopefully) and to avoid getting swallowed by anacondas.

We've figured out that we will have spent five days in total on buses in the next two weeks, starting with a 12hr overnighter tonight. Wish us luck!

A Short and sweet blog, I could go in to the specifics of how nice the bed is and how lovely the food is that this Irish owned hostel provides, but I won't. I'm just going to turn over now and have a snooze.

Wishing you were all coming to the (-20C at night) salt desert tour.

Lots of love

S&S

xxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

3. Peruvian service station3. Peruvian service station
3. Peruvian service station

Big fluffy animal. We reckon it was an Alpaca.. but we could be wrong.
10. Our welcome party10. Our welcome party
10. Our welcome party

The islands are held in place by 5 anchors.


31st July 2010

Hi
Definitely an alpaca. Awesome photos of things made out of reeds - love the boat head. Keep well wrapped up and have plenty of hot toddies to keep you warm! Gwen x
31st July 2010

ALPACA
That's the best alpaca I have ever seen. I LOVE alpacas!!! x
31st July 2010

Reed boats
Were there any Thor Heyerdahl look-alikes on the lake? Lesley has been inspired to re-read The Ra Expeditions. Your photo 17 looks very much like the boats that guided the construction of Ra 2.
1st August 2010

Beautiful scenery and we love the reed island and all the colourful materials. -20C? Ughhh!! You really should buy a couple of those blankets (are they made from alpaca wool?) and cut a hole in for your head. Do take care. lots of love. xxxx ps: Titicaca? - what a super name ;-))

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb