Back to the Point


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We started the morning off in the Onkel hostel, which had clean beds, but not much space and to be honest not a nice vibe. So we quickly decided to pack our bags and move to the Point which is a chain hostel, we previously stayed in the one in Puno. However the one in La Paz is supposed to be a rave. So we turned upbut couldný check in till 2pm, so will left our bags in storage. We then wandered into town to try and find an external hard drive as Ant wanted to try and get some of the girls photos. As we wandered down we entered the ´witches´market which sells everything from artesans to post cards to dead baby lamas. The reason for the dead baby Lamas is that when they build a new property they have to offer something to mother earth and this has to be 2 dead baby lamas and some sweet looking things - as in candy. If they dont do this then mother earth asks for blood i.e. people die on the work site. Pretty gruesome to be honest.

Having not got great vibes from this place we strolled on up to an electrical market we heard about. The area looked fairly dodgy and cables above are heads were sparkling in the rain. We quickly brought another USB stick and not an e-harddrive as no-one had one. The rain was coming and we knew we had limited time to find shelter. We found another sheltered market and stood there for a few minutes whilst it poored down and then hailed. Ant was optimistic it would only be a shower, it ended up being at least half an hour. We really were trapped though as the streets turned into a river. Put your foot in and the water was over your ankle. No thanks!

It started to die off so we quickly made a run for it, i pretty much fell in and got soaked. Ant remained fine, as usual when he makes me do something i dont fancy. We arrived back at the hostel and now the sun was beaming. They were offering a free jacuzzi, so naturally we jumped on in. Such a contrast to an hour earlier.

We decided that this evening we were going to dress up and eat and then get hammered in the bar as it was huge and happening. And that´s exactly what we did do. Happy hour was from 6-10pm and drinks and cocktails were no more than 1.50. So we sat and drank caipirinhas and played drinking jenga which resulted in Cachaga shots and thats about all i can remember. Overall conclusion = A good day and night all round.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb