La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
July 14th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I was apprehensive about La Paz because of all the terrible stories of kidnapping I had heard but I'm please to say Tracy and I had a great time. Undoubtedly because we were stay right in the centre of the city so never got to see the harsher side of life, but I'm quite happy about that.

La Paz has many restaurants severing food from all around the world and having been living on beans, rice and meat for a while we lapped up the different cuisines on offer. So much so that when a British Indian restaurant offered up the challenge of eating the worlds most dangerous vindaloo and getting a free T-shirt I jumped at the chance. The curry was made from thirty of South America's hottest chills, including the seeds, and was awful. But I finished it, with the help of a tactical chunder (puke) halfway through, and now have a T-shirt to prove it!

Having seen an advert for female, Bolivian, midget wrestling we went off to what looked like a disused garage and watched a really bad version of WWF. However the sight of women in full national custom jumping off the top rope and slamming each other to the floor was a once in a life event. The female midget was pretty vicious too. When not being thrown around the ring by the other women she was busy grabbing the referee by the balls.

One extreme event to another, we took down-hill mountain bikes down the world most dangerous road. For three hours we rode as fast as we dare down an gravel track a few meters wide with shear drops of 600m at the side. The occasional truck coming uphill added to the excitement. I scared myself many times by going a little to fast and barely making it around the hairpin bends. Upon reach the bottom of the road I was unable to open my hands fully for a long time because I had been holding onto the handle bars so tightly.

Having done nothing cultural in La Paz we headed out to the witches market where you can buy anything from tacky T-shirts to dead lama foetus for ceremonies. Tracy had her fortune read by pouring molten tin into a bucket of water and seeing what shape it took. Apparently she will always be surrounded by money.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The T-shirt says it allThe T-shirt says it all
The T-shirt says it all

Notice how forced the smile is!


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb