The other side of La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
April 29th 2009
Published: April 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Before we came to Bolivia, we initially didn't even plan to visit La Paz, because of the fact that this must probably be the most misrepresented city in South America.

This is what we were led to expect by various posts, on various travel blogs, on many, many travel websites, and what our own experience is so far:

The whole of La Paz is one big open air market
In the old center of the city, there are indeed many, very interesting open air markets, where you can buy anything from a Llama fetus to the latest version of Windows, before it has been released officially!

But also: A small distance from the center, where most tourists don't bother to go, beautiful, well kept plazas, surrounded by good restaurants and modern high rises. If you sit on a bench in the middle of Plaza Avaroa, you might be forgiven to think you are somewhere in a modern, first world country. Generally parks are well kept, and buildings better maintained than in most other South American countries.

Large parts of the Prado is flanked by modern office blocks, with pedestrian areas in the center with lawns and flowers.

La Paz is dirty
La Paz is cleaner than most other South American cities. Even the open air market area in the center is relatively clean, and the modern suburbs are as clean, if not cleaner than Buenos Aires.

The people are so poor that you won't see any private cars, only public transport
In the center you will indeed find many taxis and micro-buses. Go a short distance into the suburbs, and you will more MPVs and modern cars than you would expect in a developing country.

Pick pockets are all over the place, just waiting for you to take a sip of your coca tea to grab your camera or wallet.
They are certainly out there, but if you take normal precautions, La Paz is one of the safest capitals in South America. So far we have never felt threatened in any way.

The people are not friendly. They act like they hate life.
The people are genuine. They will not fall over their feet to get to your tourist dollars, but if you take the time to learn a few Spanish words, and get to know them better, you will find more genuine hospitality than in most other places.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



29th April 2009

Wish I was there
As always, enjoy your comments and pics. Thanks for dispelling some of the myths associated with Bolivia - keep the pics and stories rolling, Raubie

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb