Phew....tiring here!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
January 19th 2009
Published: January 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here we are again, adding another country to the list!

Due to our flight leaving Santiago at 6am, we, as usual, decided to cut costs and camp out in the airport....we´ve seriously had it way too easy in New Zealand and have become soft to noise and activities and so sleep evaded us yet again!

Anyway, after a 4 hr flight we arrived in La Paz, almost 4km above sea level. The thin air and lack of sleep wasn´t a particularly good combination and hauling our packs off the conveyer belt was more diffficult than normal, not to mention trying to hike up a hill to find a guesthouse! - The massive city is built in a valley and sprawls for miles up either side of the hills, making for lovely views but not treating new visitors well who need to acclimatise to the altitude....huffing and puffing and muscles aching made us feel like OAP´s!

Quite an uneventful visit really, we spent our time wandering round (very slowly!) and taking in the new atmosphere. Our first opinion of Bolivia is that it´s going to be a very interesting place, if only for the locals and indigenous people who
Santiago Airport,...Santiago Airport,...Santiago Airport,...

...making good use of lost luggage!
still dress in all their traditional attire...hopefully we´ll catch a few more pics for the next blogs - don´t feel comfortable blatantly snapping away, need to be a bit discreet!

Dan - Not much else to add from me really a city being a city nothing much to do but soak it up. We´re working our way down to Tupiza next (Dad, this is where the happenings of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance kid took place, I know you know the film) so tune in next time, should be much more to report.

See you soon

Us
xxxxxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Our street...Our street...
Our street...

...Doesn´t look like too much of a hill, but when your nearly 4km above sea level, it suddenly becomes mighty difficult!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb