La Paz is insane


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
December 21st 2008
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Potosi: 18.12.08



Since our last entry we have been to Potosi, primarily a mining city.
We visited the silver mine that in the past funded the entire Spanish empire. It still functions today in much the same way with
much of the work being done by hand by indigenous workers.
The mine tour ended with a bang- when we let off a whole chunk of dynamite just for kicks!

The following day we explored the city and then caught the night bus to La Paz (didn´t go so well with one of our tour members being pickpocketed).

La Paz is an amazing, unbeliveable place.
The first day we arrived and went on a "tour" of the infamous San Pedro gaol. Whilst there are no official tours- we paid the guards a significant "entrance" fee and were given a tour by one of the inmates with another couple of inmates as body guards. The gaol is unique with families living in the gaol, as well as restaurants, factories, and a school etc. Here anything can be obtained with money, our "guides" sentence was reduced from 25 to 5 years.

Yesterday we went mountain biking on the worlds most dangerous road (named this by the number of fatalities each year - a sign indicated only 43 deaths this year however it has been some time since the sign was last updated!). The ride started 4800m up in the clouds where it was freezing and the visibility about 5 meters. On the way down there were sheer drops of 400m next to the mainly gravel road. We crossed rivers and rode under waterfalls and generally had an unbelievable time.

The Bolivian food has exceeded our expectations. The llama steaks have been excellent! We watched a peña; a show of traditional Bolivian song and dance. Lots of drums and panpipes!

Tomorrow we leave Bolivia for Peru - it will be sad to leave but we look forward to a home stay near Lake Titicaca and the hike on the Inca Trail.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb