La Paz and the Worlds Most Dangwerous Road


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
December 12th 2008
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday 12th December - Day 1 - La Paz
This was our last day in Peru and we spent about 3 weeks here which was great times. It was time to head to Bolivia and the border was a nightmare. We were told it was one of the easier ones but my god it was tough. It took about 3 hrs to get stamped and also we lost the truck which beleive me is hard to do but somehow we managed it.
Anyway after that disaster we arrived in La Paz and again on the road we got an over view of the city and my god it was huge and fantastic looking. We arrived to our hotel at 2pm and we had an apartment to share which was a welcome treat. Steafano and I were sharing with Roay, Galina, April, Alice, Tash and Kylie.
The first thing we did was check out the famous Alchol Alley which also doubled up as Chicken Heaven...ok I know know the real name of the street but literally the above is acurate. The alchol was everywhere and so cheap we couldnt beleiev it so we have stocked up for our trip for Christmas and New Year.´ We couldn´t go out that evening as the nest day was the mountain Biking and we were told people got turned away with hanagovers!!!
Saturday 13th December - Day 2 - La Paz
Today was the day we were all looking forward to for a long time. Today was the Mountain Biking on the Worlds Most Dangwerous Road. Guess why it is called the Worlds Most Dangerous Road...it doesn´t take much to figure it out but just to be clear it is named so because there have been so many deaths caused by vehicles driving over the cliff. The biggest being a couple of coaches on the way back from a football match which went over the cliff and killed 128 people. There have been numerous other incidents and as you travel down the roads you see crosses at every corner!!! By the way the road is now closed to general traffic and only tourist buses and bikes can travel down.
The experience on this road was fantastic and the speeds we were reaching were amazing. We started at 4700m and cycled all day to the base which was approx 1200m. Now I won´t lie to you there was more than one ´shit ín your pants´ moment as we cycled down to the base and slide around corners but it all made for a great day.
After the mountain biking we headed back to La Paz where we planned a party in our apartment. Unfortunately I wasn´t feeling good so went to bed early but Stefano made up for it. Stefano was introduced to a shotgun...something to do with piercing the bottom of the beer can and drinking it that way (he managed to spill it everywhere I´m told) and what party would be complete without Stefano doing his Michael Jackson dance.
Sunday 14th December - Day 3 - La Paz
After last nights party I woke feeling pretty good...shame about Stefano and the rest of the party. So far we´ve counted 7 people cried and Stefano nearly got in a punch up with Corky and the doorman Paul 3 stroke. Some very sore heads but all way sorted after a trip to Burger King and everyone was best buds again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb