Crazy Cholitas Wrestling in La Paz


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 25th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Victory Dance 32 secs
2: Cholitas... 46 secs
3: Cholita in silver... 23 secs
4: Skeleton and El Rojo... 36 secs
5: Cholitas... 61 secs
6: Fire and fighting... 149 secs
7: Cholitas... 258 secs
On our last day in La Paz we went to see Cholitas Wrestling which was quite an experience...
It takes place every Sunday in an arena in El Alto.
Each new fight started to the tune of the Eye of the Tiger which we found hilarious.
The wrestlers were wearing colourful costumes and really put on a show with fake head butts and throws.
So fake, so silly. Especially when the judge got involved in the fight and clearly favoured one wrestler over another... What a theatrical spectacle!
And we weren´t quite sure what to think about the dwarf wrestler dressed up as Mickey Mouse whose partner was blowing fire all over the place... So bizarre. The audience were throwing popcorn at the wrestlers, and at times wrestlers were thrown at the audience. One Cholita got so mad that she grabbed an audience member´s bag and threw it!
The best part was when the actual Cholitas were fighting though. Such a strange concept. Women with traditional indigenous clothing, throwing each other around and fighting like men!


















Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb