La Paz, still high, still very big...


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
April 30th 2007
Published: April 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

la paz ... how does one describe la paz ?
one could start with the meaning of the word in english ¨the peace¨ but that hardly comes close to describing the city.
if i use my own words, then this is how is would start:
hustling, bustling, pumping, grinding, people walking up the street, across the street, down the street, jumping on buses, jumping off buses, people yelling at you to get on their buses, people asking to to buy things from them, things like, watches, laptop bags, jewellry, hats, gloves, fresh orange juice, pirated CD's, DVD´s, VCD´s, packs of 1, 2, 3, deoderant, shampoo, cakes, fried chicken, potatoes, hambugers, llama fetuses, dried frogs, puma skins, layered skirts, embroided shawls, boys in balaclava´s who want to shine your shoes, women and children who want to you give them money, men asleep in door ways, women in long layered skirts with bolder hats on and babies asleep in blankets tied to their backs, coca leaves.
traffic lights don´t always mean what you think they mean.
a red light doesn´t always mean stop.
pedestrian crossings don´t mean it is anywhere near safe to cross the street.
the friendly little men and women dressed in zebra outfits are a much safer bet to get you across the street.
one way streets don´t always mean that you have to go the same direction as the sign is pointing.
houses line the hills leading out of the valley in what appears like a merging of coloured boxes. snow capped mountains beyond.
la paz is a bustling metropolis of ideas, cultures and people that merge together somewhere at 3,700 meteres above sea level.
this means taking in all these crazy lifestyles leaves you out of breath.
i´m not sure whether its the altitude or the bustle or both.

Go on, have a look at wrestling, Bolivia style !
Cholita wrestling



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb