La Paz Continued


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday

I awoke stiff as a board , my thigh muscles really aching.

Making it difficult to walk, decided to have a lazy morning and get the city excursion bus in the afternoon. This consisted of two separate circuits’ one covering the southern section and the other the city section
The south circuit took you to the area that has all the fine buildings and Embassies, also where people who have money live .some very fine houses in complete contrast to the poverty of the inner city. All set into the environment in a spectacular way. there was a commentary throughout which made it interesting, we then returned to the start point and proceeded on the inner city circuit taking in the oldest part of the city, Murrilla Plaza where the government buildings and the Presidential Palace are situated . Next to it is the Murrillo Cathedral .Interestingly the two towers were only added after Pope John Paul visited in 1985.then the bus went up to Killi-Killi Mirador where you have a 360 degree view of La Paz ,the highest Capital in the world at 3680 metres and a view of the triple Peaks of Illimani Mountains (6042metres) commanding the background.Then retuned to Plaza Isabella ,the bus terminus. Fancied a drink but could I find a Pub no chance ,ended going into the 5 star Ritz Hotel, had to pay the exorbitant cost of 14 Bolivianos for a beer (1.4 Euro) glad it wasn’t the Ritz London.

That evening decided to have a decent meal and on Rubin´s recommendation went to Angelo Colonial Restaurant. Nearly got ripped off on the way there by the taxis driver ,he missed a turning and had to go around the one way system, as a result charged me 15 bob’s instead of normal fare of 8 bob’s I protested but gave him what I thought, being dark 2 x10 notes and waited for the changed but had a bad feeling and asked for the money back only to discover I had given him 1x10 and 1x50 note very much the same colour I went ballistic gave him 5 bob’s and told him to ¨piss off.

Had fillet steak all the trimmings 3 glasses of Chilean Reserva all for the princely sum of 100 Bolivianos (10 Euro) where in the world can you get that for 10 Euro? Amazing .
After the meal back to hostel, early start in the morning for Copacabana a 4 hour journey for the next adventure

In conclusion La Paz is an amazing city with as many Internet cafes as shoeshine boys 100´s.It seems crazy that it was ever built there in the first place 3680metres above sea level with all the altitude problems, in a bowl like canyon. I have already mentioned the pollution and the traffic. I was ready to leave La Paz for some fresh air

Phileas



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Phileas at Killi -Killi Mirador Phileas at Killi -Killi Mirador
Phileas at Killi -Killi Mirador

Behind me is a 360 degree view of La Paz
going down Killi-Killin Miradorgoing down Killi-Killin Mirador
going down Killi-Killin Mirador

The inevitablbe downhill


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb