NATIONAL STATE OF EMERGENCY AND ROAD BLOCKS FOR REVOLUTION


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post



We went to the bus terminal yesterday to try and catch a night bus to the tense city of Cochabamba. The first company turned us away, saying that other companies would take us but they wouldnt, but without explaining why. same happened at the next and the next, always saying someone else would take us.
Why, we found ourselves wondering, wont anyone take us? we watched the ticket windows and almost everyone with a big bag and light skin was turned away.
Mabey they dont want rico gringos on their buses with all of the economic tension in Cochabamba, we thought.
But, at the last place we asked, they said that the protesters were still blocking the road. So we dont know what to beleive.

Seeing as we couldnt go to Cochabamba for political reasons, we decided to see if we could instead go south to the salt flats of UYUNI, but, alas, there is a national state of emergency because of all the flooding. Some 55000 families have no homes and 21 highways have been destroyed, or so we here. So that rules that out.

Then, last night we heard all these bangs and shouting and crowds and music, so we mosied over to the center of town and it turns out that the revolution has spread to la paz, and that it is NOT small or light. its a big deal because there are ALOT of people in the center with flags and marching and banners and a stage with people making very emotionaly charged speaches.

Yes, Bolivia is wonderful!
Actually, La Paz, where we have been for the last 10 days, is pretty nice. the clinic was nice, we went and saw 2 movies in english (Borat and A Night In The Museum), and occasionally splurge and get ourselves a fancy 15$ meal. all we wish is that our hostel had a TV, because we are getting alittle bored and we miss home and figure we might end up being here for the last 13 days.
13 DAYS!!!!!"!#$%$ we are SOOOO excited to go down to Costa Rica to see our friends! we have been so responsible and quite and cold this whole time, it will be nice to go to the beach and be with a rowdier crowd of friends.

until next time.



Advertisement



23rd January 2007

OMG
COASTA RICA IS NOT DOWN! EITHER IS CONNECTICUT! stay safe

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb