Feliz Navidad from dirty old Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
December 25th 2006
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bus crossing Bus crossing Bus crossing

Lake Titicaca
Leon and I have had the most surreal experience.

We departed Cusco after the wonderful adventure to Mucchu Picchu on the night of the 22nd. The 930pm overnight bus was destined for La Paz. However even though this looks like a short distance on the map, it took us until 4pm the following day.

We arrived in Puno on the coldest bus in history and spent 2hours chillin (literally) in the Bus Station. During our stay in the Puno Bus Station we were visited by a screeching beggar who thought it was appropriate to stand in our personal space and yell. Totally tripping out we gave up the rest of our change.

The bus then hit the Peru Bolivia border. We decided to check out Lake Titicaca whilst the other bus patrons changed money and sorted out passports. This seemed like a good idea at the time as we thought it would be ages. Perfect opportunity to stretch the legs.
On the way back we watched in horror as our bus drove over the border. Fearing the worst we instinctively gapped it in the direction of the bus.
We were intercepted by the border police who seemed to
Fooseball in LaPazFooseball in LaPazFooseball in LaPaz

Right before Leon got robber for the second time in 24hours. So much fun, so much pain.
pop out of no where. They assured us they would help us. Panicked and a little overwhelmed by the situation Leon and I found ourselves being split up and interrigated in Spanish by 4police officers. They accussed Leon of smelling like pot and searched him. After they had finished with him, they did the same to me. It was sooo intimidating. They motioned for me to empty my belongings on to the table. After a few ci ci and no intendez my passport, money camera etc was thrown back at me and i was escorted outside.
Leon and I were reunited with no drug charges. It was not too long after that Leon realised the police had fleeced him of US$80. I was intact somehow but the border police had every opportunity to do the same to me. To be honest they were dressed more like army men rather than Police.
We were last on the bus after getting our passports sorted by the actual border administrators. The bus took off to Copacabana. We were awake now. We had slept like crap on a bus all night from Cusco and now we were fired up and feeling slightly victimised.

Dazed we arrived in Copacabana town, Bolivia and decided to wander again down to Lake Titicaca. We found a nice spot to sit and chatted to some locals who happened to ironically come up to us and offer us weed. Charming.
Whilst we sat and waited we watched a mongrel dog rape another dog 10m from us. We were quite perplexed with the unusual goings on. Police, fake drug accusations and now horny dogs. This was one surreal day.

We eventually arrived in La Paz at 4pm and teamed with another Kiwi and a Brazilian from the bus went in search of The Adventure Brew Hostel which was kindly recommended to us by 2 lovely English girls in Cusco. However, no one had no clue where it was despite the fact it was within 10 mins walk from the bus station.
The hostel was superb... with a bar and bbq on the roof and it was run by a kiwi. Nice one bruv!

We decided to go for a wonder and were hit again by the surreal chaos that was La Paz 2nights before Xmas. Our day of incredible survival was over. Somehow i stayed in tact. Leon and I can both agree this was like no other day in our lives.











Advertisement



8th January 2007

I TOLD YOU SO!
Hey Bubs! I don't suppose you remember but I do so I will just say it... I told you so!!! In Peru you stick to Macchu Picchu and Cuzco, if you want to go to Bolivia only go to La Paz and fly there! cause it's dangerous and police and army people are corrupt!!! Same goes for Brazil, stay on the tourist routes, lots of drugs in Brazil and angry armed man... and avoid at ALL COSTS COLOMBIA!!! Smooches, Frankie
14th January 2007

Cusco
You remenber the name of the girls in cusco, who recommended the hostel in La Paz??
17th January 2007

Marcos, we got recommended the hostel The Adventure Brew Hostel by Lilly and Hannah.

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb