Blowing into General Gregorio


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz
February 2nd 2018
Published: February 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

The paved road stretched long and straight before us. With the wind at our backs (and sides) we blew down through the high Argentine plateau to General Gregorio. A few miles out of Antiguos, I met a couple of Canadian riders at a gas station where I was to get on Ruta 40. We had met before on the ferry out of Puyuhuapi. We joined forces and headed South together. The weather was perfect, the road was empty, and we just whipped along the plain, dropping down every now and then to cross a shallow valley with green grass, maybe a stream or a lake. All the houses, trees and animals are hidden from up on the mesa, and spring into view as one enters the valley.

The town was simple and attractive. It had the best supermarket we had yet visited. We convinced the owner of a parrillada to open his restaurant early, as we were starving and couldn't wait to the regular 8 or 9 pm time. He was cooking a lamb out back, but we made do with excellent ravioli and a milanesa (breaded steak).


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bajo Caracoles town, and a group of German touristsBajo Caracoles town, and a group of German tourists
Bajo Caracoles town, and a group of German tourists

who were travelling in their own mobile hotel. They slept in the trailer, and rode in the front bus -- and were totally independent of their environment. I wonder how much of what they saw through the window they understood.


4th February 2018

Now it looks like I thought it would
4th February 2018

Tt's back
The photographs are really good Jim, especially the lamb roasting. One gets a feel for the places you pass through from the pictures you take, from the flowers and papa grass to the buildings and the landscapes. Tt's nice to have people to ride with, especially Canadians.

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb