Ice Ice Baby - Part 2


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 42 secs
The next day started again early, and we set off in the cold dark morning to Perito Moreno. This was the trip I was most looking forward to as we were actually going to trek on the glacier with crampons and guides.

We arrived at the entrance of the park and boy it was cold! It was snowing properly and again we were glad that we had our thermals on. We took a little boat to the bay, went up the mountain for 1 km and got close to the glacier. On the way up there, we heard a couple of loud explosions - it was part of the glacier falling into the lake. And we were there to witness one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen.

Perito Moreno is the only glacier in the Los Glaciares National Park which is growing, at a rate of 2 metres a day we were told by our guides. I did make the joke that it was a good thing that we were quite far up the glacier. As much as the sight of the chunks of ice falling into the lake is impressive, I did not fancy seeing this up close and personal!

So we put our crampons on and got some guidance on how to walk up and down the ice with them. I felt like a real mountaineer. And up we went and hiked for two whole hours. We tasted fresh glacier water, and saw sink holes and crevasses, all of this surrounded by blue ice. At the end of the hike, there was a table on the glacier, where there were a dozen glasses and a bottle of Famous Grouse whisky. We got served whisky on the rocks, with ice from the glacier, what a great finale. That was one great glass of whisky, very apt for the moment.

At the end of the trip we took the boat back to the port where our coach awaited us. However, Perito Moreno had one last goodbye for us. Couple of small pieces of ice started breaking off and then, just as we got close enough, this large piece fell off with a thunderous sound. Bloody marvelous! One would think that it had been done deliberately. What an amazing and humbling experience...




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

With crampons 2With crampons 2
With crampons 2

Not Karate Kid!


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb