ice in action


Advertisement
Published: March 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our first tast of the ice of Patagonia was the Perito Moreno glacier, famous to some because it is one of the very few that is not shrinking, famous to others because of spectacular breakoffs and ruptures of the ice as it grinds into a peninsula just below its face. I never knew ice could be so blue. Glazcier somehow inspire in me this feeling of the endlessness of time, and the aliveness of the earth. Coming from an area that was originally a terminal glacial moraine, glaciers then and now have a special place for me. Glaciers have been shaping the earth for so very very long, it is incredible to see it in action. Standing there we could hear it groan, and moan, and crack, and sing, and smash...we could not see it moving exactly, escept for the giant blocks of ice shaving off a few times during the afternoon and splashing into the water, but it moves about 1 1/2 feet forward a day. When that much ice hits the water it makes an awesome sound, in addition to the reverberation of the cracking itself. See for yourself!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

perito moreno 4perito moreno 4
perito moreno 4

after the ice fell into the water, this bright blue berg popped up in the middle of all this older ice


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb