El Chalten


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
January 15th 2017
Published: February 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Isa is here!!!! So nice to have one of my best friends along for part of the adventure!! We headed straight to El Chalten where there are some nice day hikes to do.

The following day, no rest for poor Isa, we started with a hike to Laguna Torre, the weather was changeable but we got to see the top of the mountains eventually! The tops are so steep and spiky and there was a glacier at the bottom leading to the laguna, we walked as close as possible eventhough the wind was blowing real hard and it was real cold!

For the first time in my life though, I get to drink water straight from the river, no need to worry about carrying water bottles as you can fill up anywhere anytime, such a pleasure!

The following day, we did a longer hike to Laguna de los Tres, this is the lake with a view on the famous Cerro Fitz Roy. The hike was fun cause it went through forest, along rivers then on a plain, on swamps with wooden paths, then a steep climb on gravel to the top and SNOW!!!! it snowed on our heads! yep it was cold at the top but beautiful!! We got to see a beautiful red head woodpecker along the path (dont know its actual name), and an eagle when we were at the top of the mountain (nope not a condor but an eagle of some sort, smaller than a condor).

These were kind of our initiations on hiking long distances (20km) without backpacks for now....


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb