Mount Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
March 3rd 2014
Published: March 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 12 Another early (8 am) start with a long hike (24 km's) to the base of Mt Fitz Roy. Short drive to the entrance of Los Glaciares National Park along a gravel road running alongside a vast valley of the Rio Blanco river. The trees along the valley cliffs are just starting to turn yellow and in a months time apparently turn a deep red before dropping for winter.

The walk is generally flat following the river with a sheltered forest at the start before opening up into more open an exposed areas with great views of another significant glacier (Pridras Blancas). There are over 300 glaciers in the park with only the very large ones named.

The end of the trail up was a strenuous 400 mtr rise in altitude over 2 km's along a zig zag track. Only 3 of our group attempted this section and only 2 made it to the top. Ruth made it half way & decided to wait for our return. The walk was well worth the effort but oh so tiring taking 11 hrs all together.

Day 13 Slightly later (9 am) start with another long hike (18 km's) to the base of Cerro Torro. Good timing as it allowed me time to get up before dawn to go down to the town entrance to capture the sun hitting Mt. Fitz Roy at first light which quickly lights up pink from the top down over a 15 min period before returning to normal spectacular. To be honest I never believed the photos of this phenomenon were real and somehow touched up but I have the photos to prove it.

Walking straight from our hotel we picked up a track from the Main Street of town that runs along the valley of the Fitz Roy river. after an initial steep climb much of the remaining walk to the Torro (tower) was flatish until the final climb up a glacial moraine (loose rocks of all sizes left behind after a glacier retreats).

The trees along the valley cliffs are just starting to turn yellow and in a months time apparently turn a deep red before dropping for winter.

5 of the group finished this walk although the reason for Ruth's breathlessness yesterday became apparent during the walk when she realised she was coming down with the same virus as another passenger and the return journey was torture but battled till the end of the trail.

Dosed up with antibiotics so hopefully a little better tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



6th March 2014

Still watching...
Hey guys! Looking great so far! Hope Ruth gets well soon...

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb