hiking in the glaciar national park


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

on the trailon the trailon the trail

ben in the lead hiking through the autumn trees
after ushuaia, headed north to patagonia, made friends with a couple british chaps (ben and ross) in calafate and we promptly left that overpriced, touristy town for el chalten (via 5hr bus ride over unpaved road), a little nothing of town (one dirt road) at the southern entrance to the glaciar national park. (one of the things i love about argentina is that for years a combination of overvalued currency and unstable government have kept tourists out, so much of their absolutely incredible natural wonders, parks, etc are barely built up) at el chalten we rented some equipment (unbelievably cheap) and went hiking through the national park and camped out by a glacial stream that night. its great hiking there bc you dont have to carry water, you just drink out of the streams bc its pure glaciar water and there arent any animals there, which is kind of weird, but i only saw two birds the whole time (one of which was on the glaciar??). i cant even describe the isolation and wonder i felt there...so i wont.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

a glacial streama glacial stream
a glacial stream

i drank from that!


24th April 2006

Jealous in Texas
I hate you...

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb