El Chalten


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
April 24th 2008
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We beat the sun up this morning by a long shot. El Calafate is a remote and safe feeling town and from our Hostel it was an relaxing walk even in the dark. This was aided by Leannes ability to pick up a procession of not less than half a dozen stray dogs to usher us safely to the bus terminal.
The 5hr drive here was amazing to say the least. We had perfect blue sky and views of the snow capped Andes. You can see why this is called Los Glaciares National park as we saw several galciers in the distance from the comfort of our bus as we travelled to El Chalten. Our only stop on the way here was at a small house where the family sold cakes and coffee. Much to everyones amusement they had a pet Llama wondering around the house. (another pet to add to Leannes wish list)
El Chalten is the newest town in Argentina having only existed since 1985. It lies at the base of the Fitzroy and Torre peaks which punctures the skyline like giant needles. The very tiny village seems to still be in construction mode with graders and diggers busy
El ChaltenEl ChaltenEl Chalten

The metropolis that is El Chalten
creating what will be the main road in town. With so many hikes to choose from we have settled on an 8hr hike for tomorrow to get a closer glimpse at the Fitzroy and Torre peaks, so lets hope this blue sky doesn´t change colour on us.


Advertisement



25th April 2008

Nice peaks...
.... we have that sort of thing in our backyard too ;-) But I guess this kind of splendour is probably novel for you city folks!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb