El Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
August 24th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

El Calafate and Perito Moreno Glacier



We decided on flying to El Calafate in Patagonia since the bus journey is over 30 hours one way, a flight was only 3.

El Calafate has a ski resort feel to it - minus the snow - lots of chalet type houses, cafes and chocolate shops. Our hostel over looked the town, lake and beautiful snow capped peaks in the background. More importantly it had under floor heating!

We spent a day wandering around the town and visiting the natural bird reserve in search of a flamingo. Unfortunately it was not to be and instead of seeing one we introduced two dogs to the sanctuary (after they followed us from the hostel all the way there), so there may be little of any other bird life left!

The main reason for traveling to El Calafate was to see the famous Perito Moreno Glacier. We joined one of the many tour buses and headed out to the National Park. Our first up close encounter was on a crowded tourist boat that took us 250m in front of the glacier. We stood in awe of its size for an hour, waiting in vain for the sound of thunder signaling a break in the ice. Next stop was the walkway where we could walk away from the crowds and find a quiet place to look out over both sides of the glacier and stand camera poised. We managed to hear a few small breaks echoing across the landscape.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb