El Calafate - the national capital of glaciers


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
February 18th 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

El Calafate is the gateway to the majestic world of glaciers. This town is near Lake Argentino, a green water surface covering 1,600 km2, with a length of 60 km and a width between 12 and 14 km. It also has great mysterious depths, like all lakes originated from glaciers, ranging from 35 m in Feruglio, on the southern shore, to 300 m off the Avellaneda Peninsula.
El Calafate receives its name from the small bush calafate, indigenous of Patagonia. Its fruit is a delicious berry very good for the elaboration of jam. According to tradition, whoever eats calafate will return for more. But reality indicates that whoever visits Calafate wants to stay there forever.

The main reason why people come to El Calafate is to view the Perito Moreno Glacier and of course I was no exception. I booked myself on an “alternate” day tour (a boat ride along the front of the glacier is included) to the glacier, ready to view one of the natural wonders of the world. I was certainly not disappointed. Imagine a fifteen-story tall wall of ice looming over a turquoise backdrop of snow-capped mountain peaks, and you'll begin to understand the majesty that is the Perito Moreno Glacier. This formation, which is one of the largest in the region, is also the most scientifically significant in that it is still growing in size every day.

Our boat ride along the front of the glacier was mind blowing. We were so insignificant in comparison to this towering monster. The wall was just so big. While we were cruising along we kept hearing creaks and groans coming from the glacier, and we all had our eyes peeled hoping to see a big block of ice fall off. We were actually really lucky and right in front of us we witnessed a massive block of ice shear off and collapse in a thundering heap into the water.

Once we got off the boat we had a couple of hours to walk along the board walks and once again stare at this magnificent piece of nature. You would think that you would get bored looking at the glacier, but you never do. It is able to hold your attention for hours, even though you are freezing cold standing in the wind. It really is an amazing place.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Perito Moreno Glacier Perito Moreno Glacier
Perito Moreno Glacier

The sun is shinning


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb