Change of latitude and weather!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
November 7th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It has been a busy week since our last entry.

We started the week by taking a bus to Buenos Aires which was scheduled to be a relaxing city break. We managed to fit in a lot of sightseeing but quickly realised that there was more that we wanted to do than time to do it in. A rapid replan led to a change of itinerary and transport to get south from bus to plane. This bought us some extra steak eating time and also a quick day trip to Uruguay.

We spent most of our Buenos Aires time soaking up the atmosphere by touring local sights including Eva Peron´s grave in Recoleta, San Telmo markets, the Boca region, the local parks of Palermo, lots of colonial buildings and far too long in a museum dedicated to period doors!

An early start on Thursday allowed us to get a ferry across the River Plate to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. This is a small relaxed town with a great beach, we managed to pick a day with soaring temperatures. We braved a meal of ´Parilla para dos´and ended with a huge selection of delicious steaks, sausages and various unidentifiable less delicious bits of grilled animal!

Another day in Buenos Aires (James still resisting Tango lessons) and then we took the plane down to Patagonia (brrrrrrrrh!).

When we arrived in El Calafate we booked ourselves straight onto a 2 day trek around the National Park at the bottom of Mount Fitzroy. Our language skills let us down a bit so we didn´t really know what we were getting into, but we have just returned form a amazing trip including a 9 and a half hour trek yesterday, a large chunk of which required crampons and ice picks (James´new favourite tool!), trekking across the glacier and a climb up an ice wall. The scenery is spectacular but it is very cold!

Today we we have been to see the Moreno Glacier which is an amazing sight.

We are now restocking and tunring our kit over in preparation fpr a transfer to Puerto Natales, Chile for a 5 day trek before we take to the high seas (if the boat is working!).

We will miss Argentina and have vowed to return again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb