el Calefate - Upsala Glacier


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
December 27th 2006
Published: December 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we again visited park Los Glaciers, the biggest ice cap outside of the North and South pole! This park is absolutely amazing. Because of the huge amount of ice, this park sort of has its own micro climate. Al the humid air coming from land, raising against the mountains and cooling down extra quickly because of the ice results in a lot of clouds. That´s what we experience......the weather is not great, fortunately it is dry but there is a cold wind and a lot of clouds as you can see on the photos.
We´re visiting the main glaciers of the park. To get there the ship has to navigate in between huge ice blocks floating on the Lago Argentina.
First stop is at a baha Onelli were we visit a shallow part of the lago Argentina that is packed with ice from the three glaciers that end up in this lake.

Next we go to Upsula Glacier wich is the largest glacier. A very wide view on a long wall of ice coming down from the mountains. The most spectacular one is the Spegazzini glacier wich is the highest, over 130 meters of ice above the level of the lake. Again big rocks of ice falling into the water with a lot of noise.

On the way back we spot a condor on one of the rocks!!

Today is probably the last day that we can contribute to our blog because we´re from here travelling to Buenos Aires tomorrow morning and after spending an afternoon in Argentinas capital we have to leave very early to catch the flight to Sao Paulo were we will spend a couple of days on the beach between SP and Rio the Janeiro.

Thanks for visiting our blog and
We wish you all happy new year!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



1st January 2007

gelukkig nieuwjaar!!
Hoi hoi, de beste wensen voor 2007 vanuit Berlijn!! Erg leuk om jullie belevenissen te lezen en het klinkt echt als iets om op het "to do" lijstje te zetten voor ...ooit? Geniet nog van jullie laatste dagen. Groetjes Brigit

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb