San Luis and Carolina: Many Rivers to Cross


Advertisement
South America » Argentina » San Luis » Carolina
September 30th 2012
Published: August 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

While most travelers went from wine-soaked, mellow Mendoza to colonial Cordoba on an overnight bus, it took me a month. But why rush when there were such sweet tidbits along the way--ancient, end-of-the-road mountain towns, rivers to rock-hop, and gorges to explore? Slow travel, indeed. I'd spent long lazy months in the tourist mecca of Mendoza, Mendoza--Water, Wine and Yankee Traps, trading E... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




28th August 2014

Light and form.... and style
Hey... I don't know if it's just me (it being 5.30 am here in Turkey) ... but the light in some of your shots is just surreal... what are you using or is this just the way the light is there? One in particular looks like a Van Gogh painting... amazingly beautiful.. thanks. And I love you style Tara.... that's what I'm talkin' bout... just get off the bus... make a decision to stay.... wonder and find the place to sleep.... take a dip in any inviting water you can..... take it slow... GREAT travel.
28th August 2014

Slow serendipity
Thanks, Paul, I'm glad you appreciate my slow and serendipitous travel, rather like your own. Regarding the light in the photos, partly that's because I like to walk at sunset, and partly it's because my camera can't focus unless there's lots of light, resulting in a bit blurry, watercolor effect. One of those lovely lessons of life where a defect becomes an advantage, and we can learn to embrace all.
28th August 2014
pups and I

You've got to make this your Portrait picture...
adorable.
28th August 2014
pups and I

Puppy pile
Thanks Bob, being a puppy climbing tree and bed was really the best. Hopefully, I'm on a roll and will catch up on my blogs. Oh, to be as timely as you who blog as you go!
28th August 2014

Glad to see you continuing to catch up with your blogs...
and I look forward to reading every one.
28th August 2014

Difunta Correa
I found a roadside shrine to Difunta Correa outside Los Antiguos. I had assumed it was a shrine for an accident victim or a Mapuche memorial as there were many in that area. And that site had more plastic drink bottles than any other. Thanks for the insight she is a 19th century folk saint and the water is to seek celestial favour. I presume in your travels you also obtained such favour.
28th August 2014

Divine protection
Difunta Correa and Gaucho Gil (robbed from rich, gave to poor) are great Argentine folk saints who I'm sure protected me from lots of tricky situations. And unlike Dead Correa, I'm completely nuts for having my refillable, stainless steel water bottle with me at all times.
28th August 2014
pups and I

Perfect sunset
I consider that the good life! How wonderful.
28th August 2014
pups and I

Puppy heaven
Yes, this was the good dog life that I enjoy back home. Argentina and Chile, like no other countries I've visited, had lots of adorable street dogs, and I was always bathed in love. This, however, was the best!
28th August 2014

Gaucho Gil (robbed from rich, gave to poor)
Thanks for another gem Tara. That explains another photo I have..."Oracion al Gauchito Antonio Gil". Much obliged.
28th August 2014

Wild shrines
In my wanderings off the tourist trail, I visited the main shrines where Gaucho Gil was murdered by the police outside of Mercedes in the east, and the spot where Difunta Correa was found out near San Juan's desert in the west. Both were wild with stands selling food and saints' memorabilia, and Argentine families barbequing and adding their tat--red for the Gaucho, bottles for Correa, in thanks for or in hopes of the graces of the folk saints. Rather like a South American people's Lourdes.
29th August 2014

Hello again
Helga tells me you are wondering whether something happened to me. I am, actually, alive and relatively well. Work is busy and I believe I am ready after 40 years to lay it aside and see a little of the rest of the world and the free time of retirement. It has a sweet ring to it. Your blogs are as delightful as ever and I always relish the photos. The puppies in this blog were delightful. It must have been hard to leave them behind. As always, take care and continue to enjoy life. Bernie
29th August 2014

Great to hear from you!
Bernie, I'm so happy your practice keeps you busy, and even happier that you're about to leave it--maybe sail down to Mexico or some other adventure. And yes, it was hard to leave these puppies. I often meet sweet pups and friends and linger longer than planned. Happy retirement when it hits--maybe I'll even see you out on the road sometime!
29th August 2014

The dogs are the stars of this blog! So cute. But the New York casino comes pretty close. I love that sort of kitsch. Great blog Tara. Love your style.
29th August 2014

Thanks, Trace!
Puppies and kitsch--really, what could be better? You like my style--high praise from one of our best bloggers. Thanks
31st August 2014
pups and I

Beyond adorable!
When I first loooked at this photo, I didn't see the little one with his nose in your bag! Cheeky! :)
31st August 2014
pups and I

Totally cheeky
The whole lot of them were cheeky--nipping, licking, climbing and sleeping all over me. That one at my side with her nose in my camera bag is my Mamacita, who was lovely with the pups. Oh, it was heaven!
2nd September 2014

Beautiful!
I saw this blog pop into my email a number of days ago and have just had a chance to read. Am LOVING your photos, they are so beautiful. Looking forward to the next post.
2nd September 2014

Thanks, Emma!
I'm so glad you like my photos. With words like yours to inspire me, I get to writing. Thanks for commenting!
7th September 2014
one of many handcrafted bridges

Nice pic
I am catching up on your blogs. You take very good photos and I particularly liked this one
7th September 2014
one of many handcrafted bridges

Camera woes
Thanks Ake and Emma, those handmade bridges were so special, and thanks for telling me you like the photo. My camera was stolen (carelessness on my part) in Bolivia. I'm having a terrible time deciding on my new one. I'm always seeing things I want to photograph and can't--I feel naked without my camera.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 20; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb