ARGENTINA - SALTA


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
December 19th 2009
Published: December 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Tilcara we took the early morning bus to Salta, via Punanamarca a town with the most incredible coloured range of hills lying behind it. They were striped, horizontally in 7 different colours. Unfortunately our bus was just passing through so we managed to just get just a short glimpse of the colourful hills.

A bit of drama on the drive to Salta. There was a road block by some people protesting about something, just some branches across the road. So our bus turned around and drove the wrong way down the motorway for about a mile until there was a turnoff for a minor road. A bit worrying as there was quite a bit of fast-moving oncoming traffic. Not to worry, we came out unscathed.

We changed buses in Jujuy then onto Salta. Salta is a pretty colonial city with lots of wide, tree-lined streets. It reminded us a little of Adelaide (particularly the all the plain trees). The hostel was old-fashioned and quaint, but well equipped.

Our time in Salta was very chilled. We visited some musuems, the cathedral and even squeezed in time for a movie. We drank endless cups of coffee at outdoor cafes and perhaps our favourite things was taking a trip on the cable car to the top of the hill overlooking the city.

On our last morning we went to the archeological museum where there was a disturbing display of mummified children found in the ice on top of a mountain. Because of the ice they had been incredibly well preserved, including their clothing and trinkets which were still intact and retained the original colour. It is believed that the children were drugged or given alcohol to make them sleep, then they were left buried alone (and alive) on top of a mountain. It was during Inca times and was part of an important ritual perhaps to unite two tribes and appease the Gods. It seemed especially cruel that they had used children in their ritual.

19th December and we flew to Buenos Aires - almost time for Christmas!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0962s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb