SALTA NORTH: There is Such Thing As A Free Lunch


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Calchaquí Valleys
August 4th 2008
Published: September 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tren de Las NubesTren de Las NubesTren de Las Nubes

Amazing piece of rail engineering up an increasingly difficult valley
Having met a Spanish couple remarkably briefly only 700kms ago, Roberto and Esther, our paths again crossed whilst hunting both cheap rental cars and Arlene's coffee fix. After some intense negotiation, both were solved, and we had a delightful 4 days together to celebrate, whilst sharing the scenery and the cost of a tiny car. And our Spanish improved out of sight along the way.

The stunning "Tren de las Nubes" ("Train to the Clouds") takes its enraptured passengers up countless swtichbacks on its glorious route to the Andean plateau. We were so keen to do this, but there was no train working, and it was SO dry there were no clouds. So off in our little VW rental car we went.

Wearing short sleeves and sunnies, our little car quietly climbed to 3700m to a small nitrate mining town called San Antonio de los Cobres. We should have suspected something had changed when some cyclists and locals went past rugged up like abominable snowmen. Severely underclad, Benj jumps out to take some photos of the most depressively under-presented town, to find out just why the locals live an existence akin to trench warfare against a bitter and unrelenting
San AntonioSan AntonioSan Antonio

... the picturesque. This was a rugged photographers dream.
wind. The concrete visitor centre, which is still under construction, takes its inspiration from the cold war in more ways than one. But hiding behind an adjacent 2m high unfinished mudbrick wall, we stumbled into the local celebrations of the Pachamama festivities (Mother Earth worship). As part of the event, the local community and mining company had sponsored a lunch for all - touristas included. And so we were treated to a superb regional soup with big chunks of broiled Llama (?), bread and fizzy drink. It was delightful.

As the sun clambered towards its demise for the day, we arrived at the Grande Salinas (salt planes), a pre-historic remnant of long dead inland seas that lost their connections as the continent was thrust upwards through volcanic and tectonic activity. The white pan of salt is all that is left, and is a remarkable terrain to play in. The stunning light angle had us running around fiddling with the cameras, despite our frozen fingers not working properly.

Altitude is a funny thing. One valley has it, the neighbouring valley doesn't. Only 70kms separate them, and the difference is dry stoney moonscape vs lush forest. The cooling effect on the airflow of the ascending terrain dumps the moisture before getting to where it seems most needed. As we inevitably dropped off the edge of this valley, we headed to an excellent forest park next to a decent sized river - what a change.

So we have entered a completely different Argentina, and are delighted to have been able to experience it. As we were reluctantly leaving Argentina, the best way to celebrate was to find an excellent parilla (meaty grill restaurant dish requiring at least 2 persons) to inflict some serious damage to the sizzling grillplate brought out to our table, laden with ribs, steak, kidney, and intestines.

Adios Salta, y adios Argentina, el pais con muchas differencias.



Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

What a place to liveWhat a place to live
What a place to live

Stunning, but very, very dry.
Colour everywhereColour everywhere
Colour everywhere

Hard to focus on your driving in this kind of stuff
Siesta timeSiesta time
Siesta time

Or hs this guy been left on tourist attractant duty?
San AntonioSan Antonio
San Antonio

This high and cold place has no room for aesthetics.
Pachamama festival offeringsPachamama festival offerings
Pachamama festival offerings

... poor various drinks (some alcoholic) into the hole for Mother Earth, then down the hatch with the next batch.
Free lunchFree lunch
Free lunch

Coca-cola is big here, and it is hard to imagine a proper lunch without it. Tourists enjoying their lunch. Muchas Gracias!
Roberto and EstherRoberto and Esther
Roberto and Esther

Bon Appetite!
No place to lie down on the job.No place to lie down on the job.
No place to lie down on the job.

Life and death is hard here.
Hot shower anyone?Hot shower anyone?
Hot shower anyone?

We were advised it is best not to plug or unplug the lead whilst showering. Something about having straight hair - we couldn´t understand the rest.
Pre-Inkan fort re-creationPre-Inkan fort re-creation
Pre-Inkan fort re-creation

Note the structural use of cactus beams. Amazing.
Dead cactusDead cactus
Dead cactus

New to us - but this has a strong and hard skeleton that is a useful commodity.
AmigoAmigo
Amigo

joined Benj for a 30min pre-sunrise walk around our little town.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb