Salta & the road Cachi to Cafayate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Cachi
July 8th 2011
Published: July 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Salta was an exciting town, tourists flock here for rafting, repelling, bungee jumping and horseriding. Me and James attempted to make a booking for white water rafting and zip lining (the highest farthest in the world supposedly) but they werent opening for the next day. We ended up booking a horse riding tour (i still dont know why i agreed... something to do), it was supposed to be regional wine and BBQ as well as some amazing views. I was feeling a little better, agreed to go out with two friends for steak and wine (argentina is supposed to have the best steak). The steak was 70 pesos (wowsas) for just the steak, mind you it was the size of a frisbee but thick. I managed to eat 3ยด/4 of it as i hadnt eaten anything in 3 days, and even decided icecream after would be a great idea. The next day that steak was still in my stomach and just added to my misery. They called a doctor tothe hotel, who deemed it food poisoning as he seemed to only understand one symptom, gave me a shot and said "go sleep for a couple hours, and only eat soup". IVE BEEN SLEEPING FOR DAYS! Augh. Z asked if i was interested in renting a car and driving the back roads of Cachi to Cafayate and back, his friend Jessica was coming along so itd be cheap. I agreed secretly hoping i could get out of bed in the next 24 hours... the drive was going to be amazing, so i figured i could just sit there. We ended up finding an amazing couple from Holland (who i am with now in Cordoba, Arg) who agreed to ditch their car and join us. We made plans to catch a bus in Cafayate and let Z and Jessica drive the car back to Salta.
The drive Salta to Cachi was ok (amazing maybe to you at home, but after what weve seen we werent impressed), reaching Cachi to Cafayate was much more amazing. The rock patterns were worth stopping every 20 minutes for photos. Cafayate ended up being a big town, where we were able to run around with Z as he stopped the car outside every hostel, run in, ask the price, argue, then run back in the car and say "Nonononono!!!" . I think we spent the extra pesos in gas running around town... it was quite hilarious. We found one place pretty decent for 40 pesos (Z wanted it for 25, they were all running around 60-80). You can imagine the fiasco when we decided to go shopping for food for dinner...
The dutch couple, Suzan and Bastiaan, booked a bus to Cordoba with me, even though Z reaaalllly wanted us to go back with him... it was a waste of travel time. We sent him off with some gas money, enjoyed some empanadas and hopped on a 4 or 5 hour bus to Tucaman then a 8 hour night bus to Cordoba.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb