Tren Patagonico


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Río Negro
December 7th 2006
Published: December 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The TrainThe TrainThe Train

Not the Old Patagonian Express, but good enough for us.
Twenty minutes from Las Grutas on a local bus was the town of San Antonio Oeste. We had an impressive glossy brochure from the Tourism Office which must have taken some imagination to put together! The sights are really a collection of ram shackled old buildings left over from the early days of the railways.

Still, we wandered around and saw everything the brochure “offered” before passing a few hours in a café and a bar. Then we ate a wonderful fish supper in the Alca restaurant. We may have been the only diners but the Patagonian wine was wonderful, and my abadejo (Argentine Cod) and Trish’s fish stew were fabulous.

Then it was time to go to the train station to wait for the Tren Patagonico to Bariloche. The 9pm departure eventually left at 10pm and we felt like Agatha Christie on the Orient Express, albeit with not quite so much luxury. The bar wouldn’t let us drink without eating so we went to the cinema. It was very atmospheric in there but the film was truly dreadful so we stayed for 15 minutes to enjoy the ambience before retiring to our sleeping compartment. The bunk beds were
Disppointed?Disppointed?Disppointed?

Russ tries to hide his disappointment that he can't stay in San Antonio Oeste a bit longer.
reasonably comfortable but we didn’t sleep too well. Maybe it was the sheer excitement of our mode of travel, or perhaps it was the incessant noise that trains make - chug, chug, chugging along!

We arrived in Bariloche at 1120am and were instantly wowed by the scenery. It is a truly beautiful place. Unfortunately the hostel where I had reserved a room (at great expense on the phone!) denied ever taking a booking, but remembered my telephone call enquiring about the prices!! So, please, NEVER stay at the Calvu Leuvu, as they don’t deserve your business!!! The Venezia was excellent and super-friendly but a little above our budget so we have moved on after our first night. More in the next journal………



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Luxury?Luxury?
Luxury?

Trish adjusts to her new luxurious surroundings.
A rare one!A rare one!
A rare one!

This one is a sunrise. Now there's a very good reason you don't see these shots from me too often!
Rusting HulksRusting Hulks
Rusting Hulks

It seems that rusting hulks of ships like to stay in San Antonio Oeste though.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb