Bariloche


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MapMapMap

see, just a tiny bit further south!
After a relativley short bus ride of 200km´s south, we arrived in one of the main / biggest lake district towns - Bariloche.

First impressions were not brilliant, it seemed as though Bariloche was just another big town, albeit with a great location on the side of Lago Haupi (sp?). However having visited the tourist information we were relieved to find that many cabins and self-catering hostels were located just outside the city, which meant that we did not have to spend the equivalent on a hotel.

The first bungalow/ cabana we arrived at was akin to a granny-flat (no offence directed towards grannies!!) in that it was overly hot and quite stuffy, with the un-nerving smell of gas from the old style boiler... however blinded by the low price, we accepted it....only to decide a few hours later that it was not as good value as first percieved. Having snuck out (trying to run inconspicuosly with our huge backpacks) we found a much better suited cabana for a tad more.

We have spent 5 nights in Bariloche now and have had a really great time. Most days we have ridden on the local buses into the town
BarilocheBarilocheBariloche

town with a view
for internet cafe´s and supermarkets, while continuing with the theme of walking and biking and enjoying the still novel experience of home cooking.

Thanks for all the birthday messages to Chris - We had a good day yesterday, being lucky enough to catch a rally in the morning. Also, as luck would have it, we managed to spend time with our travelling friends Nic and Audrey (the couple we met on the Uyuni tour)....

Nic and Audrey had left us at Mendoza and gone down south, to come back up north in the opposite direction to us, yet with the wonders of technology, we kept in touch and ended up in Bariloche at the same time. As the pictures will show, we had a good couple of knees-up´s for both Nic, and then Chris´s birthdays.

Currently we are faced with the daunting prospect of catching a 48 hour bus to El Calafate, the next place south on our list. We packed up this morning and have spent the past 3 hours on the internet searching for alternative modes of transport! As it stands, none have been found and so it looks as though our time in Bariloche
Bariloche IIBariloche IIBariloche II

Taken from up the road.
will come to an end tomorrow when we take the plunge and board the longest bus ride ever!!!

All for now,

Lots of love,

Chis and Rachel xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Granny flatGranny flat
Granny flat

well, it was cheap... but we quickly changed our minds.
Cabaña CapurroCabaña Capurro
Cabaña Capurro

we quickly moved down the road to this one... much nicer!
Cabaña Capurro IICabaña Capurro II
Cabaña Capurro II

AND it had a good view!
Cable carCable car
Cable car

We did a hike or two... with the aid of the cable car for the up´s. Now we know why it´s called the ´lake district´!
sceneryscenery
scenery

taken on the walk down from the cable car.
Lake districtLake district
Lake district

Overlooking Bariloche from the ´hill´ behind.
Another town, another bike ride...Another town, another bike ride...
Another town, another bike ride...

We took some bikes out... the ride was good until we got to the last part which was a steep sandy ravine! Needless to say rachel fell off a few times into the bushes!
Nic, Audrey and a bottle of vino!Nic, Audrey and a bottle of vino!
Nic, Audrey and a bottle of vino!

For Nic´s birthday, Audrey invited us for a BBQ in the communal ´parrilla´(grill) area below our cabins...
Meat (more!)Meat (more!)
Meat (more!)

We just about managed to stave off hunger... Nic seemed to know how to handle the meat!
Meat (more!) IIMeat (more!) II
Meat (more!) II

There was just enough to feed the 4 of us...
and of course, wine (and beer)and of course, wine (and beer)
and of course, wine (and beer)

we all enjoyed ourselves... a mere 5litres of beer and 5 bottles of wine. we thought we had bought too much but it seemed to disappear!
22 years ago....22 years ago....
22 years ago....

sunrise from our bedroom window on chris´s birthday. the sun doesnt come up here until about 9 so we didnt get up as early as you´d think to take this!
Rally IRally I
Rally I

Spotted a poster for the rally going on over the weekend... the maintainance area / base was on the shores of the lake.
Rally IIRally II
Rally II

Risking life and limb to take pics of fast cars... there were no marshalls so it was a case of "if you hear a car, jump off the track!"
Rally IIIRally III
Rally III

Eat my dust.
Rally IVRally IV
Rally IV

The stage was around the ´Cerro Catedral´ ski complex... unfortunately it is not covered in snow at the moment.
Birthday presentBirthday present
Birthday present

Rachel carried the card off her family with this in for 3 months! I used to play with these as a nipper! Looked like an idiot throwing it around the garden but provided much amusement. A jap mitsubishi i believe..
BarfyBarfy
Barfy

We chose our food carefully at the supermarket.
Birthday dinnerBirthday dinner
Birthday dinner

steaks bigger than ya face.
Birthday cake!Birthday cake!
Birthday cake!

the candles were "magic" and wouldn´t go out... i nearly hyperventilated trying.


17th May 2006

Looks as though you had a good birthday, one to remember by the looks of it. Glad that you have been able to meet up with like minded people and enjoy drinks and good food etc. Take care both of you speak to you soon luv mom xxx
19th May 2006

Happy Birthday Chris!
Hi mate, hope ur well! Pics are great, ur a good writer also! Mate, re your email, can you try and reply at somepoint, Paul is very keen to speak to you about your question. Take care Chris, Scott.
23rd May 2006

Oi Mr Lewis!
Even whilst Chris is the other side of the world you are poaching my team. Hope you are both having the time of your life, reading your blogs and looking at the pics is pure joy. Take care both , Dawn xx

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb