Beautiful Bariloche


Advertisement
Published: September 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today, we decided to rent bikes and cycle to a mountain I believe is called Cerro Otto (could be wrong).

It was pretty cold. And windy. So windy in fact, that the cable lift up to the mountain wouldn't go.

So Marcel, Vijay and I put our bikes in a taxi and were dropped off at about ¾ the way up. Marcel cycled up while Vijay and I tried for a bit then gave in and pushed them the rest of the way. The others said they were going to cycle all the way from the bottom and meet us up there. Crazy! The idea was cycle down!!

The view over Bariloche's lakes was worth being in the win and rain for. The lakes were genuinely incredible and so still despite the rain.

We got to a little stop point where they told us we couldn't take our bikes up further. We had to pay Ar$20 to go up and get into the revolving restaurant at the top.

So we bought our tickets from the guy, he then gave us our tickets and then got back in his box and said 'can I have your tickets please?' Ha. Why did he give them to us in the first place?

Anyway, after locking the bikes, we walked the rest of the way up. It got colder and windier but the view got better. We were faced with beautiful snowy mountains and a fantastic view over Bariloche.

After a little journey up some stairs, we made it to the revolving restaurant (which I'm told is like the one in a James Bond film or something) for hot chocolate. The out circle of the restaurant moves so we sat there. I put my gloves and hat on the side and a minute later, Vikki, who was a couple of tables down called over “did you want these?” Don't think I quite understood the concept of a revolving restaurant!

About 15 minutes after we arrive, the others who'd cycled, turned up. How on earth did they do it? I asked if they'd got a cab but they said no. Crazy.

It was soon time to go back down. The fun bit.

We grabbed our bikes and headed downhill.

Me being the usual scaredy-cat stayed at the back but this time the lovely Molly stayed with me. It wasn't quite death road but it was still pretty exciting cycling down the side of a mountain and to add to experience, the wind and rain totally stopped.
We reached the bottom and cycled at speed home. I think the guilt at this point may have got to Tam because once home, she admitted that they'd caught out taxi up the mountain on its way back down because cycling up was impossible.

Another great day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb