Here comes the rain....


Advertisement
Published: November 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

At the start of the Three Lakes CrossingAt the start of the Three Lakes CrossingAt the start of the Three Lakes Crossing

..can you see the clouds yet ??
Ok...so I jinxed everything by stating that the weather had been superb up to this point....as you can see from the photos the weather can be very British !!

So we took a flight from the south into Puerto Varas, in the chilean lake district. It was a kinda strange place...the main attraction was the Volcano Osorno, that remained firmly in the clouds during our brief visit.

We decided to spend a day there and then agreed to splash out on the famous three lake crossing from Chile to Argentina (if youve seen the Motorcycle Diaries you may recognise some of it). By all accounts its supposed to be one of the great Journeys of the world, crossing the deep green Lagos Todos Los Santos, via a small habitation called Peulla and onto Bariloche in Argentina. Not if it´s raining !!

We ended up going on the trip the day after we arrived in Puerto Varas, as it was fully booked for days ahead after that. It was a real shame, as the whole day was awful, weather wise, and we know we passed through some of the most amazing scenery....but it got worse and worse and by
Steve being a volcanoSteve being a volcanoSteve being a volcano

..at this point you are suposed to see the beautiful Osorno volcano glimmering across the lake
the time we´d reached Bariloche at 10pm it was simply chucking it down. A quick bit of advice for any travellers...don´t do the trip is you think its going to be crap weather...its very expensive and therefore not worth it.

Anyway...we got up the next moring...and the day was perfect. We hired a car and did the Circuito Chico...which is a lovely drive around the lakes. We ended up in Villa La Angostura, and had a right result. As you can see we found a Cabana to stay in, with the most fantastic view and private beach (see pics), that caught the sunset....all for about 10 quid !!

http://www.soldelhuapi.com.ar/inicio.htm

That evening was the offical First Steak in Argentina...and boy was it good. I understand why they do not have vegetables...they simply cant fit them on the plate! When I (Steve) get back I will be spending some serious time trying to source steak like this...and intend to visit every Argentinia restaurant in London !!

The next day we went for a walk. Superb. 16 miles of prime forest, out on a peninsula called the Park Nacional Los Arrayanes. At the end of the penninsula there is a stand of Myrtle trees that is quite stunning (they are all wierdly shaped and have an amazing cinnamon coloured bark. I decided to walk back...it was pissing down again at that point (Lou caught a boat), and I ended up like a drowned rat. However, it was great...as my Ipod started working again...so the woods were filled with the sounds of Big Country being sung at full voice (and you all know how good my singing voice is).

That evening was also great...the Cabana had a kitchen, so we stayed in and cooked...we are both a bit fed up of eating out every night (yep...even me !!).

So...we are now off to Puerto Madryn to (hopefully) see the whales on their annual migration.

Steve and Lou


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Dad..this is for you...Dad..this is for you...
Dad..this is for you...

...bloody fantastic fish and sausage stew
The Motorcycles Diaries shotThe Motorcycles Diaries shot
The Motorcycles Diaries shot

..makes sense if youve seen the film
Lou was quite taken by this !!Lou was quite taken by this !!
Lou was quite taken by this !!

...at lunch...Italian...lake Side..sun...superb


22nd November 2005

Team tulip
Steve, thats not a volcano, its a team tulip.

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb