Are we in Switzerland?


Advertisement
Published: March 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bariloche lakesBariloche lakesBariloche lakes

Bootiful innit!
We arrived in this faux swiss town filled with chocolate. fondue and St. Bernards and settled in to our lovely lovely hostel (Periko's - highly recommended) in no time. Although it was a bigger town than we've been used to, Bariloche still has a really nice feel to it and is nestled on the edge of a huge lake.

We decided seeing as we only had a few days and wanted to see EVERYTHING that we would push the boat out and hire a car for a day. Simon drove it back to the hostel when we picked it up in the evening with me clenching my bum the whole way and him looking very apprehensive (trying to change gear with the window winder was the first sign)! When we finally got the car out on to the open road on the next day we both calmed down and started enjoying some of the most beautiful scenery around. We did the 'Big Circuit'which goes round a lot of the lakes and gives you some great views of the mountains. It also happens to be 250km which is handy as that was our km limit on the car before it started costing more (students on tour)! I even had a go driving, allbeit only on the open road far away from most other motorists!! It wasn't too bad once i'd worked out which side the gear stick was on and managed to reach the peddles after Simon had been in there! We had a great day driving around and even managed to find somewhere to buy some homemade jam... at this point it is important to note that we only found this place because we were both dying for the toilet and it was the only place for miles around... good jam though! We finished the night with the sun setting over Bariloche and a meal in 'Familie Weiss'(again faux swiss... no yodelling though) where i had some pretty amazing salmon stuffed ravioli and Simon had wild boar with raspberry sauce (not very students on tour of us... it came to a whopping 13 pounds for both of us with a bottle of wine and desert)!

On our second day we decided to do something active and sit on our bums all day in kayaks! We went kayaking on Lago Gutierrez with a great guide (sketchy English included at no extra cost). We kayaked 12km apparently but i think the stops for maté, alfajores and tons of empañadas ruined all the health benefits!!!

We are now moving on to Mendoza (the wine region) for some DRINKIGN!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Photo critique session a la Brian Case (course lecturer)Photo critique session a la Brian Case (course lecturer)
Photo critique session a la Brian Case (course lecturer)

God I love you Rob!!! Alison just asked if you have a job - silly question...


4th April 2007

£13
£13??!! thats cheaper than birmingham. and i thought i lived in the skuttiest area we knew. loving the photos.. si- you'll be sad to know my retro camera finally broke after 7years! am gonna have to get with the times and get a digital one now. have a lovely time in drinking region- guessing we might not hear from you for a couple of days. (good luck with the hangovers- my advice is not stopping drinking until you have too!) lots love. paddy.xxx
4th April 2007

Word Up You Shlaaaags............
Looks pretty cool at the end of the world I have to see. Always thought the bloody thing was round myself (heresy I know). Taking my first week off of the year next week and going to the equally desolate land of Sheffield so I too shall be cold, hungry and surrounded by foreigners I can't understand. Come back soon coz my fridge is alarmingly full of beer!
8th April 2007

Hey!
Hi Katherine. Thanks for the Happy Easter message - it has kind of passed us by here as we´re in the middle of nowhere now! In southern Bolivia at thew salt flats which are amazing (bring on the USB computers... don´t think they have that in Bolivia somehow)! The gerbils are a great idea. I wholeheartedly approve and surely there´s no better choice of name, right?! xxxx
12th April 2007

trip
Hi there - i have really enjoyed reading your blog - would you mind letting me know where and with what company you went kayakiung with on the lake - was it in baroliche? I am starting to plan my own trip and would love any advice you might have - my email is jimmyswo1@hotmail.com if you would like to get it touch i would appreciate it. thanks

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb