Tom Crean - u aint seen nothing


Advertisement
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in bariloche, for some skiing at the start of the week. There was zero snow when we arrived and alot of rain, which was worrying enough given we had booked 4 days skiing. Luckily when we got to the slopes, there was snow on dem der hills. After a shed load of getting stuff together we made up onto the hill for a lesson with Pablo, the local ski bum. Picked up the basics and off we went.

Bariloche is a cool enough spot but has a fairly touristy feel to it.

There was alot of falling, cursing and more cursing, and that was before the skis were even pulled on. on the 2nd day the weather closed in and we had to come down from the mountain in the afternoon, soaked to the skin. Couldnt ski the next day due to bad weather so we just chilaxed.

The last day of skiing turned out to be great skiing conditions. It snowed heavily and we thought wed take to a run. The map showed it as a green run, which is for beginners so off we went. half way down we realized it was a blue run, for intermediate skiers, which was worrying given we couldnt really turn. Aoileann made it down with just one fall, I on the other hand did not. 10 minutes later we reached the bottom, I was covered in snow, I had gone off the edge once, I was ready for an easier slope, aoileann was not. We got a lift to the top of the mountain where there was supposedly a green run. We followed it for five minutes but the thing was dainseireach. The runs were straight enough but it was literally on the edge of some very large falls. At this stage we had no sunglasses as the snow had blocked mine and aoileann had lost hers. We had to stop due to 100 mile an hour winds with snow and rain in them, couldnt see a thing.

To cut a long story short, we de-skied and trekked back to the top of the mountain. Here, much to my delight, the easiest choice down the mountain was a blue run. To me it looked like a vertical drop. Aoilo took off, not a bother. I rolled off, alot of bother. 20 minutes later, we reached the bottom, aoilo mastered it by the bottom and I had gotten a bit better.

Glad to be alive we went for some lunch. We stayed out on an easier slope after lunch and got to grips with it. Laughin now.

Hitting for Chile tomorrow for some more trekking and skiing. How bad.

Hope yer all well.

Adios




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb