Back to Chile


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Río Negro » El Bolsón
January 28th 2015
Published: January 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Perito Moreno is nothing to write home about, the hotel was ok the second steak in the restaurant was ok as well, the troika of aMexican a Swiss and a Swede was joined by a Japanese, big meeting of the UN.

Next morning it was time to go to Chile, yet again, we infiltrated Chile via Chile chico and soon we had Chiles biggest lake on our left and riding on tarmac was a sweet memory, back to the gravel, the infamous ripio.

Most of it's good but the now and gain you hit some spots with ankle deep gravel the sizes varying between pellets and golf balls, slippery as hell.

Take care is the key word slowly into a curve, you might hit bad gravel or some Chilean cuttin' corners.

But the views of this very blue lake and the Andes all around are well worth the effort, but the going is slow and and as soon as there's food to be had we stop in Bum fcuk.

Our goal is Puerto Rio Tranquilo where the famous marble caves are to be found.

Chile is a bit more advanced than Argie in some way but their build quality really stinks, most buildings look like shit warmed over, twice at that.

A walk about in Rio T is a thing of about ten minutes so back to our luxury hotel to hang out drink plonk and talk with other "motoneros".

Dinner is roasted lamb, must have been a sumo lamb or reared on coke and crisps because it was all fat, what little meat tasted good though and in Chile they even have some chili wanna be, hurrah!

I wake up in the middle of the night with the sound of rain drops beating a staccato beat on the tin roof, shite, I hate riding in the rain and slipping and sliding in the mud.

My new rear tyre is worn out and no new ones to be had so slippery is not a thing to look forward to, it even snowed up in the higher mountains in the night

On the morrow we haggle the price of the boat, to see the marble caves, down,by 30 %, and motor off to see, what the Chileans consider the most wonderful thing in the world, 'tis not.

It's ok, it's nice but no further.

What is nice though are the views as we hit the road towards Coiahique, going on the famous Crretera Austral formerly known as "the Augusto Pinchet Highway".

Well he sort of lost his status as a VIP in Chile so the road changed it's name to Carretera Austral.

Some very nice ripio, some bad in one curve I almost lose it as my front wheel rolls on the small stones and I miss hitting a car by a cat's whisker.

My heart rate goes up to a million+.

After 130 km , pavement, yohoo!

Finally Coihaique, a real town with real shops not only souvenir shops and no queues at the petrols station and an internet that works well enough, and even in your room.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb